JFK around airport travel time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming back to JFK on Alitalia landing time 4:30 pm. We then have to connect from term 1(Alitalia) to term 6(jet blue) leaving at 6:50 pm. Is this dooable? considering baggage,customs,airport traffic, check in at Jet blue etc. Incidently It looks like this is the last airline flight out at night to West Palm Beach. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:14 AM

2 hrs 20 mins SHOULD be enough time. If the Alitalia flight is late for any reason, I'd tell a stewardess on the plane before landing & see if they can expedite you through customs (try to sit as far forward as possible). If you're running late, you might want to consider a taxi from 1 terminal to the other instead of waiting for the shuttle bus if it doesn't come right away. I'd also check the JFK website map so you know exactly where the terminals are relative to each other. Final thought, for your own peace of mind, you might check to see if Jet Blue has a later flight to FLL if that's preferable to spending the night at JFK.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie for your reply to my question.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 11:22 PM

I would say it "might" be dooable, but wouldn't bet on it. Lets say the plane lands on time at 4:30pm, give yourself at least another 30 mins for customs, because of the "9/11" security reasons at JFK, baggage claiming takes awhile (probably another 15 min or so) then leaving from Term 1 to Term 6, which is JetBlue's Terminal might take some time considered that JFK always have high traffic volume. I would think that its best if u can fly to JFK at a earlier time to give yourself some space in between...at least 3 hours. Also, for domestic flights out of JFK is 2 hours prior to check in. Hope this helps!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 03:53 AM
sandi

Were these tickets booked as "one ticket"? BPI/JFK/ITALY (whichever city)/JFK/PBI - If yes, and the flight might be late and even not, the airline will know that there are folks onboard that have ongoing flights. Many carries make a note of this and ask that the connecting passengers disembark first to clear customs and collect luggage. Luggage can then be rechecked at Term 1 (to be sent to Term 6) then only you have to get to Term 6).

If they are two separate tickets that are not linked, then you have to advise flight crew you have a connection to allow you off first, clear customs, get your bags and then get to Term 6 and check in.

If your luggage from Alitalia is delayed geting of the plane, just go to the Customer Service Desk and provide your luggage tag number and other petinent info (your home address, phone no.) and Alitalia should get it to Jet Blue (hopefully in time for the flight) - if not, Alitalia is still responsible for getting the luggage to your home in FL. - it might get there the next day.

If the flight is on time, 2.20 hrs. is more than enough time to clear customs, get your bags, get JetBlue. Also advise JetBlue you are arriving from a connecting Alitalia flight.

With ontime flights I've been able to clear customs, collect bags, get into taxi and travel into Manhattan in less than 2-hrs.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:23 PM
sandi

Sorry the following

>> BPI/JFK/ITALY (whichever city)/JFK/PBI <<

should read

PBI/JFK/ITALY/JFK/PBI

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I would also keep in mind time of day.
The late afternoon is when alot of European flights come in. You won't be the only flight in customs. I think you are cutting it pretty close!!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 03:07 PM
sandi

While a number of foreign carriers from Europe start arriving at about 12n thru evening - at JFK, there are Customs/Immigration clearing at just about every terminal, unlike many other airports where every flight clears at one or two sites.

As mentioned before, it's never taken me more than 2-hrs. -whether at 6am, 12n, 3pm or 8pm even 10pm - to clear customs and get all the way into Manhattan.

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 03:54 PM
budg

Flying into JFK on a Sunday around 4pm and need to connect to a Singapore Airlines flight at approx 8pm. Told by Singapore that have to check in at counter again for new boarding pass before going to gate, although the ticket is booked all the way through on Delta (mia-ATL-JFK-SIN). Any advice on getting between terminals?

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 01:42 PM
budg

ttt

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:56 PM
sandi

I haven't checked, but are you certain DL and SIN are in different terminals? Often "partner" airlines are in the same terminal.

However, if not, you have more than enough time to take the shuttle bus between terminals, or jump into a taxi (though the driver won't be thrilled for the short drive and then have to get back in the taxi que).

Don't be surprised if DL provides you with the SIN boarding pass. I've often been told that we had to get a boarding pass from the second carrier, yet the original carrier provided it.

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:06 PM
budg

Thanks Sandi. According to the panjny website (not sure if I spelled that correctly) DL and SQ are in separate terminals. DL in 3 and SQ in 4 at JFK.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:54 AM
sandi

budg - since your luggage is being transferred, then the shuttle bus will be fine, you've got plenty of time. Enjoy your holiday.