Search

Connection in JFK and Customs?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connection in JFK and Customs?

Hi,
I'm a Canadian citizen flying round-trip to Dublin with a connection in New York at JFK. I'm not flying into New York from Canada though...I'll be in the U.S. already (Vermont) and arriving from there...I have just under a 2 hour connection in NY both ways...on the way back I go through customs in NY I guess...do you think this will be a problem:
1. Because I only have two hours?
2. Because I'm not a U.S. citizen?
Thank you!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:48 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
This should probably be posted on the Europe board, but I can have a go at part of an answer. Good news and bad news.

Good news is (a) 2 hours should be no problem on the outbound leg, as your bags ought to be checked through to DUB and all you need to do is go through security at most at JFK; and (b) coming back, Dublin airport (along with Shannon - the only two in Europe) has a US immigration/border protection station at the airport, so you will go through passport control before you get on the plane to JFK.

However you will not go through customs, that will be on arrival at JFK, and the bad news is that 2 hours is almost certainly not enough time to connect, particularly if your departing flight is from another terminal at JFK.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Agreed - outoging there will be no problem. Incoming it's extremely likely that you won;t make it.

I have arrived at JFK from europe in the afternoon dozens of times and there are often so many planes landing at the same time that baggage gets backed up. We (but US citizens) rarely take much time going through immigration - but waiting for luggage can be interminable. It has taken us as much as 2 1/2 hours to get our bags and out into the street.

So - that you leaves you minus 30 minutes to make the flight. And since they will want you to check your bags in 2 hours pre-flight (when you will be landing) - barring a miracle you won;t make it. Can you get an earlier flight into JFK? Or a later flight back to Canada?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM

I disagree. With no need to go through immmigration on your way back, your main wait is for the luggage to show up. Customs usually mean just handling a form to the office (unless you have stuff to declare).

If your departing flight is from same terminal, then just go through security. If not, the Airtrain runs every few minutes and only take a few to your other terminal, and reclear security.

2 hours is adequate. There's no difference if you're US Citizen or not because you've already gone through immigration at DUB.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM

And let me address an error in nytraveler's post. Your bag should already be tagged to your final destination at DUB when you check-in there. Unless you're final flight is on a separate ticket on a low-cost carrier that has no interline baggage agreement with your DUB-JFK carrier.

You do not need 2 hours to check your bags. In most cases, all you need to do is drop it off after you go through customs.

And even if you're going to a different terminal on a different airline on a separate ticket, most airlines only require baggage checked 60 minutes prior to flight, even for international.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

I'm on the same carrier for both flights (Delta) so I did'nt think I'd have a problem with the bags...but I have a probably stupid question I haven't travelled overseas much...On the way back (DUB to NY) do I get my bags back to go through customs then re-deposit them for my NY to Vermont connection? Or do I just go through customs with my carry on and declaration form and Delta transfers them plane to plane?
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:53 AM

You need to wait for your bags and claim them at baggage claim, then hand the customs form to the agent near the exit, and redeposit your bags to DL after you exit.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Delta to Delta (connection) is all in Terminal 3 at JFK, so I'll amend my comments above to agree (reluctantly ) with rkkwan. If the whole ticket is sold to you by Delta, it's a "legal" connection at JFK, and even if you miss your flight to Vermont Delta will put you on the next one.

For future reference, when asking questions about air travel and connections, it's important to include details about airlines, flight times (roughly) and whether or not it's all on one ticket or more than one. Makes all the difference.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM

The reason you may well have a problem is that you have to get your luggage in New York, take it through customs and redposit it with the airline. Then you have to go through security again.

I agree that the Customs Part usually doesn;t take very long as long as you're not picked out for scrutiny (unlikely) - but getting your luggage can take forever, dependng on how many planes land at once.

If you're talking 2 hours from wheels down on one flight to wheels up on the other you may well still have an issue. It often takes more than an hour for luggage to turn up on the carousel when the airport is busy. This would leave you no time to get it, go through customs, get to the counter, recheck the luggage and go through security again.

However, being one airline and one ticket is a big help - and you may make it. And since both tickets are Delta and it's a legal connection - if you don;t they have to get you on another flight at no cost.

But - don;t be surprised if you find yourself sprinting through the airport.

The earlier in the day your flight lands the better your chance of making it (flights that land at 3pm and after often start getting very backed up - getting a jetway, getting luggage unloaded and getting it to the right carousel).
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Anything can happen - two hours, three hours, or even four, may not be enough.

But two hours is a very reasonable time to do such a transit, especially for DUB flights that have precleared immigration.

In extremely general terms, the amount of time required to an international to domestic connection at an US airport is about an hour from door open to arriving at new gate for US citizens. The OP won't need to clear immigration and won't need to go to different terminal, so that helps. Being JFK hurts a bit. But again, overall 2 hours is very reasonable.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I feel much better about the whole thing but will be prepared to run if needed!!