Is there a secret to changing flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently booked flights through AA flying with Air France from Dublin via CDG to EWR. I have now discovered that I have not got enough time to transfer to our cruise and wanted to change the flights to the day before. I don't mind paying a surcharge but through AA this seems to be impossible! Any ideas?
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:25 PM

Have you tried calling AA? In this case, they are just like a travel agent. You'll pay whatever Air France charges for changing a ticket, plus whatever AA charges for service fee, which may be zero.

Most fares are refundable with a fee (up to US$200 usually), except for some "web specials" or auction-type fares, but with those the policies should be clearly stated when you book.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:27 PM
OT

It depends on what type of ticket you bought. If it is a non-refundable and non-changeable then I think you are stuck with what you've got.

What did AA say to you when you tried to change? They must have given you an explanation.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:10 AM

I don't think you can amend tickets via the website, if that is what you are trying. Some people recommend reserving your desired flight (part way through the booking process there is usually an option to save your reservation for a day), then calling AA and ask to have your new reservation put onto your original, for which there is a healthy fee. I think it would be best, however, to call, explain your problem, and ask them to find a solution. It may be that they don't have a flight on the day you want (not every route is served every day), but its hard to imagine that they couldn't get you to one of the NYC airports on the day you want. Good luck.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:20 PM

If you have a nonerefundable fare, or another type of restrictive fare, like an advance purchase fare, and you want to make changes prior to taking your outbound flight, your ticket must be repriced, and you would have to pay the penalty, if any, plus the fare difference. If you bought a restrictive fare, it is just that - restricted.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:18 AM

My husband has gotten credit with airline (expiring in 6-12 months) on a variety of "non-refundable" fares - never a refund, but better than nothing. It always involved speaking to a live person, sometimes a supervisor, on the phone or in person at the airport.