Help with flight choice?

Nov 16th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Help with flight choice?

UK to JFK next October, who would you recommend? BA would probably be our choice between BA, Cont. or American as we like personal seatback TVs - can anyone confirm that the BA 767 do have PS TVs - some agents say yes some say no.

They are all coming out expensive - but I can save £100 if I fly Man to Dublin then onto JFK with Aer Lingus but never heard anyone whose travellled AL - does this flight have PSTVs? Any comments welcome. Thanks

Nov 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM

I may not know what I'm talking about but flying RT Newark-Zurich we had personal TVs on each seat (the back of the seat in front of you) on Continental.
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Kinda early to book next October, isn't it. Unless you want a special seat in First Class.

If you want free drinks with dinner, go with BA since American and Continental charge $5 for each in coach. But if you want frequent flyer miles, go with American or Continental since BA only gives you 25% of the miles unless you purchase a fully refundable ticket.
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM

You can't book anything further out than 330 days prior to the flight.

No personal screens (at the moment) in economy on Aer Lingus (EI is the shorthand BTW). Individual screens on all BA and AA flights to JFK from London, probably all BA 767s will have them by next year if not already. EI tends to get low marks from travelers in coach, but nobody gets high ones.

If you can save a hundred quid or more, why not use it to buy a DVD player and not have to rely on the (generally rather poor) video offerings from the airlines?
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Delta will also be flying JFK-MAN by next summer. But with a 767, no video screen. Pakistan International also flies this route, with a 777. No idea about entertainment.

But really, MAN-NYC is not a very long flight. 7 hours westbound, 6 hours east. I don't think it's that crucial to have a personal video screen.
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM

Have you considered Virgin? They've got seatback TVs ... and you get a toothbrush with a tiny rubber duck charm attached to it.

If you're willing to splurge a little, Virgin's Premium Economy and BA's World Traveller Plus are worth the extra money for the extra legroom, separate cabin, etc. And with Virgin, I once was able to buy a cheap flight in economy and later upgrade it (a few days before I left) when they announced a sale on Premium Economy.