Search

BA check-in at MXP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA check-in at MXP

Does anyone know if we can check in and get seats assigned at MXP to LHR the day b4 our flight if we use the check-in screens at the airport.
We flew out of Budapest last year on BA and could not get a seat assigned at the counter the day before our flight, whick was at7:00am and we tried to gets seats less than the 24 hr.period. BA is a pain in more ways than one.
Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM

I don't know if this helps but I tried to do the opposite in April, LHR-MXP, and I couldn't get a seat assignment until they open the check in counter day of
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM

If you have access to the internet you can get your seat assignment(and I assume check in) 24 hrs before the flight.
I agree, BA is a real pain.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM

If you are flying business class you can get the seat allocated whenever you want if it is available.

Your seat will be allocated 24hrs before, when you check in online you will be offered the chance to change it, if there are seats available to change to. If the flight is full and all seats taken, there will be nothing to change to.
Some seats are held back from pre-assignment for airport check-in.

I've never found BA a pain, they are much better to fly on than any US carrier. Where I am seated on a 2 hour flight in economy is of no importance. The assigning of a specific seat is not a right, that goes for any airline.

If you find BA a pain, you can fly on Alitalia from LIN or a budget airline, unless of course BA's fares and schedule are more convenient.

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Odin,
"If you are flying business class you can get the seat allocated whenever you want if it is available."

I only wish this were true. Only first class passengers can pre reserve their seats and people with elite status (AA Platinum and above - I am "only" gold and cannot do it).Over a million miles is apparently not enough to impress BA.
It is true it that does not matter where you sit on a 2 hour flight but I have 2 VERY long flights on BA business (LHR-JNB and DEL-LHR) and it DOES matter to me where I will be sitting.
But no luck - that is why they are a pain.
You can pre reserve a seat on ANY airline in the civilized world (esp. in business) except BA.
I am "stuck" with them as a partner as I fly for AA miles. I do like their business class flat seats, however.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Actually on any airline on what they call a within europe flight you can't reserve seats. I tried for a very long time to convince Alitalia that a Milan-Tel Aviv flight could in no way be interpreted as "within europe" but they wouldn't budge and yes it's very annoying.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Danie3633 - what should this be so?
Just because the airlines say it will be so.
I imagine they DO have computerized reservation systems, why couldn't you get a seat anytime you book, even within Europe. Let those who book their flights last sit in the middle seats and reward the ones who plan early. You are PAYING for these tickets. (I am not referring here to RyanAir & other, who are in a separate category & price).
Don't they sell reserved seats in many movie theaters in Europe - but not on planes? Go figure.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Spelling correction- Why should this be so?
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM

You should be able to check-in ONLINE 24hrs before the flight, confirm the seat and print out the boarding pass. This is regardless of which class you're flying and also regardless of FFP level.

The only caveat is, once you check in on line, you will NOT be able to change seats on the day of the travel.

If you want to get seat assignment PRIOR to 24hr on BA, you'll need to fly either business class or have elite status. (This is unless you have special situations--handicapped, travelling with small children etc).
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Paul,
I have no idea and you make complete sense. I'm sure I could check in 24 hours prior if Alitalia even allowed you to check a reservation you've made on their website (they don't). This isn't a less than 2 hour flight either, it's 4 hours to Tel Aviv. Unfortunately, I went with it anyway as it was non stop and a whole lot cheaper...the price you pay. But I totally appreciate that you're worked up about it too
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM

W9London - this assumes you will have access to a computer 24 hrs before the flight (not always the case - you maybe flying, sleeping in the middle of the night or for any number of other good reasons). Then you are essentially left with the seats that no one else wanted - not good enough for a business class ticket and 11 hour of flying. WHY can you not book a seat when you make a reservation like with any other airline? Doesn't BA have computers - or do they only turn them on 24 hours before your flight?
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM

PS
"If you want to get seat assignment PRIOR to 24hr on BA, you'll need to fly either business class or have elite status."

W9London - I AM flying business clas and still cannot get a seat assignment - you need AA Platinum or higher (I am only Gold) - see my post above.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Paulchili,

Methinks it's partially to do with how BA and AA award elite status. My understanding is that you just accumulate mileage on AA to get to Gold/Platinum. However, just flying is not good enough for BA. You need to collect tier points--basically either full fare coach or business/first. So BA actually awards profitable passengers better by not allowing prior seat selection to someone who just flys gazillion miles a year all on discounted coach.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM

W9London,
First - I have been retired for 10 years and have never flown for business, i.e. my points are earned the hard way and paid for by me. I do not "fly gazillion miles on discount coach" paid for by the company.
The FF awards are far from being "free" tickets for me and thus I resent your implication.
Second - I wish to point out to you that BA's policy on this is UNIQUE to them - that is why I am irked by it.
I have flown for awards on JL, CX, LH, UA - all in business and had no problem getting seat reservations at the time of booking. I have NO status with UA &LH - that did not matter to them; other OW partners (CX,JL) didn't care about my status - they honored my request for a seat that I was entitled to.
That is my point about BA.
If they are going to be partners with other airlines in an alliance, lets all play by the same rules. Brits of all people should know about fair play.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM

My experience with BA and the seat assignments is that the only way you can get your seat earlier than 24 hrs. is if you PURCHASE a business or first class seat.We upgraded to business last Nov, and could not get our seat until we checked in online to print boarding pass, and at that time only could we get our seat assignment.