Review of KLM

Feb 16th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Review of KLM

We just returned from Rome yesterday to Houston with an hour transfer at Schippol airport in Amsterdam. Both flights from Houston to Amsterdam were jammed packed with people. No empty seats. No I can see why someone refered to the 747 feeling like a cattle car. It kind of did compared to British Airways. The service was very friendly and attentive. They were constantly coming by with water and juices to keep everyone hydrated. British Airways just had us spoiled because my husband and I either had the 3rd seat to ourselves or one time a whole row to ourselves. The one bad thing was that there was very limited room for overhead storage just because of the large amount of people on the plane. We had to store our backpack underneath on the way to Rome and that makes a very uncomfortable flight with no legroom to stretch. We checked the larger carryon on the way back to make more room.
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:13 AM

When my parents take this flight, I make sure they get the very front coach cabin with 3-2 seating. Much more comfortable up there. But it's only available to Flyingblue and other Skyteam "elites" for preassignments.
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Oh! Also forgot that their are NO individual tv screens on this flight. One per every couple of rows. British Airways has one in every seat. Also only 2 movies per flight overseas with KLM. We brought our portable DVD player with us as well as an extra battery.
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:49 AM

But who cares about seats, luggage space and video screens?

They have better food, free booze, and prettier FAs than US carriers. Those are things that matter to many people (including many of this discussion board).

And compared to BA, they have AMS, and they give out FF miles.

So, stop complaining.

Feb 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
KT

"I can see why someone refered to the 747 feeling like a cattle car. It kind of did compared to British Airways."

I don't understand this. BA flies 747s, too (as well as other equipment), and when I've been on them they've been full. I just looked on Seatguru, and economy seating on the two airlines has the same pitch and width. So unless you're comparing NW economy to BA economy plus, it's just luck that you've had more room on BA. They don't purposely fly with empty seats.
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Who cares about free booze? As long as that fasten seat belt sign stays on, I'm happy!
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan: I simply made a review with my opinion---I did have some good things to say as well...guessed you missed that. This is MY opinion and if you don't like it I'm sorry. I thought these boards we're for information...opinions...suggestions...questions.. ..etc. Please don't bash the posters.
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

KT: Surprisingly BA flight both ways weren't full. Probably b/c it was early February. I know I was very lucky to get such roomy accomdations. It isn't profitable to fly empty....but it sure did feel good!
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM

BirmanCrazy - I guess you missed that winky icon in my last post. It was a joke, in reference to the taste of certain Fodorites on this board. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I've flown KLM, my parents fly KLM. We like them and have no problem with them.
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Anyways, let me make this clear again. You don't like KLM too much. My family like it alright. Really doesn't matter.

In my post 2/16 10:49am, I was being sacarstic, not to you, but to some people on this board and off this board that seems to think ALL European airlines are SOOOO good, while ALL US airlines are SOOOO bad. But your review clearly suggests that they're not all the same.

Again, I totally respect your review, and I don't disagree. I did say that the seats up in the very front cabin are better than in the back.
Feb 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan: Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, I will fly KLM again. Their service was outstanding. I would also fly Continental to Rome if the prices were lower at that time I booked them. I love Continental. It also is nice that their hub is in Houston. Both KLM and Continental will help me collect much wanted airmiles for my OnePass membership.