Search

Flight to KIX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight to KIX

Hello, I am planning a trip to KIX for April 23-May1st. I am currently Platinum on Delta, and in the past have used Northwest to go there, because Delta did not. To make a long story short and not to bore any seasoned international travelers with details, since the merger, and particulary since the NW site is no more, when i put in these dates from RIC to KIX, the only flights start immediately at "Y" class around 9,000 dollars.

AM i doing something wrong...in the past with NW i would connect through DTW and on to KIX. I understand that they may have gotten rid of the DTW to KIX in lieu of a Tokyo stop, which is okay with me, (RIC-DTW or somewhere else- NRT-KIX) but why cant i find a decent priced flight like i used to (2 years ago was last KIX trip). Back then it was RIC - DTW - KIX for around 1200 dollars.
If anyone has advice please let me know. Since platinum means nothing on international flights usless you buy a Y,M, B class and use and upgrade certificate or miles, i am only looking to sit in coach and collect my much needed MQM"s.
Thank you in advance.
Kip
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Looks to me like the Delta website is screwy. On Kayak, the same flights (RIC to KIX and return on your dates) are $1446rt on Delta.

I'd call DL, tell them the story, and ask them to sell you the tix w/o a phone fee. If that doesn't work, buy the tix thru Kayak.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 03:36 AM

I'm not sure if have other reason to be in KIX or you are just trying to combine a vacation with a MR?

If it the latter, then why not fly to NRT. If going through Atlanta you'll lose ~200 miles that you would have gotten if you were to fly to KIX, but you'll be saving some nice piece of change. Delta.com is showing $1315 all in for the flights to NRT.

KAYAK is not a TA, they're just a comparison shopping site. Once you pick the flights you want, KAYAK will re-direct you to a TA site.

Also, after digging deeper it appears that Delta does not fly to KIX. They put you on sharecode for the last segment. I know you'll get the mileage, so that's not a problem, but after I priced through KAYAK, all it did after I picked the flights it redirected me back to Delta. I tried Expedia and they did not even offer anything, Travelocity on the other hand is showing $1832 all in, but it comes with a price of an airport change in Tokyo, so add some more money to the deal. It appears to me KAYAK is pulling non-available fares. That happens all the time with the comparison shopping sites.

So, like I said earlier, if you don't have any specific reason to be in Osaka, then book RIC-NRT directly with Delta.

Good luck!
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I'm sure that AAFrequentFlyer is trying to be helpful, but the bogus info in his post really would have been better left unwritten.

First, Delta <u>does</u> have a daily flight, DL285, from NRT to KIX. I've never taken the flight, but there's no indication that anyone other the DL operates the flight. (BTW, AA, what's a "sharecode"?)

Of course Kayak is an aggregator site, but it also is extremely useful for canvassing multiple sites and routings. Using Kayak, I just found a ticketable itinerary from RIC to KIX, all on DL, departing on Apr 3 and returning on May 1, for a total of $1447 (fare is $1372, taxes/fees $75). The outbound routing is RIC-LGA-MSP-NRT-KIX, returning is KIX-NRT-SEA-ATL-RIC. Better itins might be available -- I'll leave that for the OP to check.

Or, the OP could follow AAFrequentFlyer's advice and spend $1832 to get to Tokyo (where she doesn't want to go) instead of $1447 to KIX (where she does). Sheesh.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM

And now you just made couple of mistakes.

The OP wants to leave on April 23 not 3

And Delta.com is showin $1315 all in to NRT, not $1832 to get there.

The $1832 is for RIC-KIX, at least that's what Travelocity is showing, for the dates the OP wants. Not some date that's 3 weeks early. But even if the OP can get the flight to KIX for $1447 then is the is the 200 miles worth the difference in price?

NRT = $1315 all in bookable on Delta.com
KIX = $1447 to KIX and you have the wrong date, so perhaps you should go back and look at April 23

Price difference? = $132

Sheesh back to you

and I did mean Codeshare, that was an honest mistake.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 07:47 AM

Fair enough, you did say $1315 to NRT.

(I did in fact look up the correct dates, but mistyped 3 instead of 23.)

But why do you want to send the OP to Tokyo when she wants to go to Kyoto/Osaka? Yes, the air fare difference is $132. Do you know what the round-trip fare is from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto? Do you think it's less than $132? (Hint: a round-trip <i>train</i> ticket costs about $350.)

I'll stand by the assertion that your advice to fly to Tokyo in this situation is just plain misguided, and that your statement that Delta doesn't fly to KIX is just plain wrong.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM

The OP's original dates coincide with Golden Week and one of the busiest times of the year for Japan travel.

The peak day is May 1. Just change the return date from May 1 to April 30 and the fare goes from $9000+ to $1500+

When you do a search +- a day then it shows a fare of $1408+ via JFK and NRT to KIX for April 23-30.

Move your plans up 1 day to April 22-30 and the fare is $1470+

You definitely want to make sure you have lodging reserved well in advance for at least the last couple days of the trip.

If you are going to Kyoto then I very highly recommend attending the Miyako Odori at the Kaburenjo in Gion district.

I am supposing, wondering, guessing, that Kayak is searching published fares and maybe it is finding fares of $1200-$1400 in a date range, maybe April 1 thru June 30, or something, and Kayak just shows that published fare without knowing available fares? Or maybe the lower fares were available on May 1 but the Japanese have long since bought them all.

Here is info on Golden Week: www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Forgot to mention that maybe the fare that Kayak finds have rules something like: valid from April 1 thru June 30 except for certain dates, like May 1.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM

There is no need to get into a p.ssing contest. , but,

The OP stipulated a MR in his first post, so my first sentence in my reply was,

<i>I'm not sure if you have other reason to be in KIX or you are just trying to combine a vacation with a MR?

<u>If it the latter</u>, then why not fly to NRT.</i>

so you see I was just trying to help him save some money if all he was doing was a MR and didn't care where he ends up in Japan. I left it up to him to decide if that was helpful at all and if not then skip my suggestion and read other's suggestions. I was at no point trying to change his mind. That's all, and now back to the regular programing.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM

and the last sentence was?

<i>So, like I said earlier, <u>if you don't have any specific reason to be in Osaka</u>, then book RIC-NRT directly with Delta.</i>
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all that replied....This is the information that i needed.
To clarify, i am traveling to Osaka on business, so it is important that i get there as my final destination.
AA i did look into the NRT fights with the possibliity that one of my collegues in Japan could find a suitable domestic flight for me to purchase, and i am still considering this, or like was mentioned, i could always book a shinkansen ticket to shin-osaka, and continue on with local trains to osaka station.

Rizsuto, i will check the Kayak site out as well. One other possiblity i could consider is flying out of IAD to reduce the number of connections

mrwunrfl, i didnt think to consider Golden Week, i am glad you brought this up..Although the dates are final for the most part (April 23-May1), i may be able to change the latter. thankyou for the sightseeing suggestions, i have seen alot that you have mentioned, but am always open to new places. Currently my company puts me up at the Granvia Osaka station hotel, which i find is very convenient for movement throughout the city.
This will be my 5th trip to Osaka , and have seen Nara, Kobe, Kyoto, Yokohama (via the shinkansen) and Tokyo.
Although i havent been able to take my wife and 3 children with me yet, i am hoping to become familiar enough with the surrounding, that eventually when i can, we will have the best experience possible.
I will use all suggestions, and again, thank you for all your help
Kip