Emergency Medical Travel

Sep 11th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Emergency Medical Travel

I need to find reduced airfare to fly from Virginia to Honolulu. My Mom has to have triple heart bypass surgery this week.
Sep 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
esm

Sorry to hear the news. A couple of times we needed to travel with short notice and the "best" deal was to use our miles. I don't know any carrier that offers deals for emergency travel; last time we tried they offered 25% off their current fare. You may have some luck using Hotwire:

http://www.hotwire.com/bereavement.jsp

Good luck.
Sep 11th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response, esm. I checked the online prices but still are a bit high. Hotwire is $937. Surgery is scheduled for next week. I will keep searching.
Sep 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM

I'd book that one (after checking kayak to see if it is really the best available).

Waiting will probably only get you a higher fare.

Try all the airports in the general region (in DC/MD/NC/etc.) since there may be a promotional fare from one or another.

But waiting won't likely save you $$
Sep 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
esm

mtwigg, I know $937 is a lot of money but doesn't seem bad for last minute travel to Hawaii. As janisj says, waiting is not going to help and if you try alternate airports you may find a better fare.
Sep 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM

cheapoair.com kayak.com/buzz best screening sites

might check this site below have picked up cheap stuff

last minute out of LAX with them... Good luck!

www.Airtech.com sells space-available flight passes for trips between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii. You can fly from LAX to Honolulu (Oahu), Kahului (Maui), Kona (Big island) or Lihue (Kauai). Once you purchase a space-available flight pass (costing $179-$269 per one-way flight, depending on when you fly and what island you’re going to), you’ll have to fill out a request form specifying your ideal travel window (i.e., four or five days when you can fly). Four days before your requested travel dates, Airtech searches for available seats and finalizes your flight reservations, then sends you a confirmation e-mail. This puts you ahead of any standby passengers, whose flights typically won’t be confirmed until they’re at the airport
Sep 11th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Where in Virginia? What dates?
Sep 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
jcb

Can you get to one of the hawaiian airlines hubs cheaply? Fares seem to be reasonable from phoenix, las vegas and lax. not the most convenient, but I thought I would mention it.

https://apps.hawaiianair.com/calenda...h=9&adult_no=1
Sep 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM

I agree that the price is probably not going to go down if you wait.

Wishing your mother and you and your family all the best.

Search this Thread