Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Site for airfare for last minute emergency travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found out yesterday that one of my best friends has died.

Her funeral is Tuesday in Tobago, and I would really like to be able to attend, however because I am not a relative, I don't qualify for bereavement fares, and what I am finding is fares from $950-1400 RT pp.

I would be going from either RDU or GSO (Raleigh or Greensboro) to (ideally) Tobago, but I have also been looking at flying into Trinidad, Grenada or Barbados, and then on to Tobago from there. But fares are still ranging from close to $1,000 and on up, without factoring in the flight(s) on from those locations.

I know that the closer you are to trip date, the higher fares are, but does anyone know of a consolidator who sells last minute availability - especially Caribbean travel? I don't care if it is a red eye or overnight flight, I would just like to be able to get there and back.

Thank you.
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:04 AM

I don't think there is such. Have you looked on Priceline?
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:13 AM

AA.com ATL POS cheap ferry to Tobago best I can find for you

www.cheapoair.com

$744 RT all in might play around there

to see if you can make something like that work.

Base Price: 633.00
Taxes & Fees: 111.80
Total per person:
# of Travelers: 1
Sub Total: USD
Trip Protection Insurance: 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Promo Code
I have a Promotional Code: Apply
Old Price: $ 744.80
Booking Bonus:
Instant Discount Promotion: $ -10.00
Handling Fees:
Total Charge: $ 734.80
Please note: All fares are quoted in USD.
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Diana: Very sorry about the loss of your friend. I too saw some flights for around $730.00 rt (through hotwire) I picked some dates since all you gave us was the date you need to be there. As Gretchen suggested priceline would be your best option. Don't get discouraged at time you may find cheap fares on last minute travel. If you need help with priceline, come back someone is always here
Good luck
Gina
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I've been on it for several hours this morning.

One of the problems I keep running into is the need to overnight on POS both ways for the less expensive fares. By the time I factor in hotel room, taxi, etc., I might be better off paying full fare. (Plus, I am traveling alone, and very leery of spending the night on Trini.)

My husband just kindly offered for us to go a little later this year so that we can both go, stay longer, and spend some more time with the family. That may be a better option...
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM

That would be the thing to do and would mean the most to you and them, in my opinion. Sorry for the need.
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Dear Diana, when my beloved husband died suddenly some friends in Italy wanted so bad to immediately catch a plane to SFO to be here for the funeral mass etc but the fares were beyond their budget. They instead flew to see me and and my daughter and little grandsons about six weeks later. They were with us over Thanksgiving. To tell you the truth it was beautiful the way it worked out. If they had arrived for the funeral mass etc., we would not have had much quality time to spend with them due to all the family members who had arrived plus all the friends that were in and out of our house. So their visit some weeks later was priceless and we really were able to enjoy being with them and they enjoyed being with us. My sympathy on the loss of your dear friend, that is always heartbreaking.
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM

I have heard of airlines giving "compassionate" discounts for flights to funerals. You could ask.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:02 AM

The discounts are only for family members. And you have to have a lot of documentation. BTDT and the discounts are not really terrific--but better than nothing.