Doemstic Airlines in Peru

Sep 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Doemstic Airlines in Peru

It looks like we will be doing a few air-hops within Peru, flying from Lima to Cusco, then Juliaca (Puno), returning to Lima and onward to Quito.

We know we will be flying on LAN from Miami to Lima and Lima to Quito. Can anyone offer any insight to the airports and the domestic airlines of Peru?

Do they have security measures in those smaller regional airports like what we see here? Wouold there be kline ups and waits? I hope that they will ahve local shops, restaurants etc. How about langauge? Is it Spanish only?

Any comemnts would be apprecaited.
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Smaller airports in Peru are pretty small, you should find an I-Peru (Peru tourism) booth with perhaps someone who speaks English. Also LAN should have someone to assist you. Even Cusco which gets quite a few tourists was pretty small, as I recall.

Since you are flying LAN into South America I would recommend looking into the South American Airpass, which gives a good discount. Must be purchased from outside Peru, I believe two weeks before departure. Look on the lan.com website.
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Cusco's airport is small and, quite frankly, a little on the dumpy side. (That should change once the airport moves out between Chinchero and Urubamba in the Sacred Valley in a couple of years.) There are a couple of nice shops in the boarding area itself, but they are branches of stores you'll find in town. The in-town stores will have a wider selection and better prices.

Lima's airport is very nice, with several shops and restaurants and a food court.

Security at the domestic airports goes pretty quickly. It's standard procedure: You pass through a metal detector and your bags go through an x-ray machine. Security for international flights out of Lima is very thorough and moves more slowly. Part of that is that there are just a lot more passengers.
Sep 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM

www.lap.com.pe LIM is great others pretty basic

Lan.com as far as I know still rips tourist off

with $178.50 surcharge per flight but I like them

between countries but in country locals are a lot cheaper

also taca.com usually... starperu.com

www.peruvianairlines.com.pe was shut down due to politics

mostly but they are back up... Those are your choices

Taca my fav overall...
Sep 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM

You will get a competitive price on LAN domestic flights if eligible to use the SA airpass.
Sep 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone ...LAN also has a bunch of smaller "airlines" like LAN Peru. I will look into the airpass real quick as we are leaving Oct 24.