DH gets to fly business class, LAX-NRT

Mar 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

DH gets to fly business class, LAX-NRT

He'll be heading to Tokyo (then on to Singapore) in a couple of weeks on American Airlines, seated in seat 10-J on a 777.

We are hating him now.

No, just kidding. But wah!! I never ever get to fly business class! He'll be taking a side trip to Singapore while there, tickets not booked yet, but I'm guessing if his company went through American, they'll probably fly with JAL on that next leg?

Seat guru tells us 10-J is good, with a nice view. Anyone care to chime in? Any fun advice for him, being that it's his first trip near the front of the plane ever?!?!
Mar 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM

Personally I prefer an aisle middle section seat. In most cases the middle seat in the 3 seat section is empty so no need to climb over anybody when they are sleeping and there is nobody climbing over me. Just a personal preference. 10D is my favorite on AA 777.

If food choice is important to him then he should take FEBO seriously.

F - Front
E - Even
B - Back
O - Odd

meaning that food order will be taken according to the above. On even numbered flight the FAs will start in the front and on odd numbered flight they will start in the back.

It doesn't mean he won't get any food if he is in the wrong spot but it means there is a possibility that 1 or 2 choices may be gone by the time they get to him.

The menu has about 4 different choices:
1)Japanese dish - the hardest to get unless you are one of the very first passengers to order as AA only caters about 3-4 of these dishes.
2)Steak
3)Fish or Chicken
4)Pasta dish

At LAX he will have access to special TSA line and also to the Admirals Club once past security. One of the better clubs in the AA system.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Reporting from Prague, Czech Rep.
Mar 15th, 2007, 04:34 AM

11D is my favorite seat so if you're flying to London in June, AAFF, I might be behind you!
Mar 15th, 2007, 08:51 AM

The view from 10J will be nice for around an hour or so - if it's a typical day he'll fly up over the valley and coastal mountains and hit the ocean somewhere around Monterey (north or south depending on the winds aloft.) From that point, there's not much view except clouds and ocean until (maybe) a half hour or so out of Narita when there might be some land visible out his side of the plane. Although the flight is all in daylight, the cabin crew all seem hell-bent on having the window shades lowered for much of the flight so people can sleep, so if he's a non-sleeper he might want to swap for an aisle seat if anyone's willing, in order to prevent having to climb over a reclined neighbor to use the loo, respond to a "snack attack" (they set out baskets of fruit and munchies in the galley) or stretch his legs.

On an ORD-NRT flight a couple of weeks ago (and I think they use similar menus out of LAX but can't state that definitively) the entree choices were steak, a risotto with shellfish and goat cheese (that looked really good) and a Chinese-y chicken dish, as well as a choice of a vegetarian plate and the Japanese 5-course meal mentioned by AAFF. They also serve a light meal (chicken and cold noodles or pizza) shortly before landing. Hunger is not an issue, nor is booze.

You/he can see the movie offerings here: http://www.spafax.com/american/index.php?section=movies. One nice thing in AA business/first is that you get Bose noise-canceling headphones. I actually find the window seats in the front rows of business class (9-11) rather noisy as the engines are not too far behind you. The NC 'phones really help on that score.

Coming back, the new Admiral's Club at Narita is the nicest one I've been in - free wifi, nice snacks, a beer machine, decent hooch on offer - very comfortable.

Is the NRT-SIN trip also on business class?
Mar 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks AAFF and Gardy!

he's such a low-key, easy-going guy, when i forwarded him the thread, he was like "i'm okay eating pasta." so of course i scolded him and said he must relish and enjoy eating the nicer options in business class.

re. the bose headphones-- those are something i would just love, but he likes to create noise for himself listening to music on his i-pod what can ya do?!

i think he just got his itinerary from Japan to SIN and he's all over the place in Japan- flying into and out of 4 different airports. i get the impression that no, he's not in business class for that flight, and he's flying ANA. didn't the FBI just raid them today?!?!?!!
Mar 16th, 2007, 04:15 AM

One thing that's really good about long-haul business class flights is that you get LOTS of FFP miles.

Domestic flights in Japan are mostly short flights, so your DH won't miss much for not flying business. However, NRT-SIN part is quite long so hope he gets to fly business.

Just on a practical matter... I hope he is not making a connection to a domestic flight right after landing at NRT. NRT is waaay out of Tokyo (90-120min) while almost all domestic flights use closer-located Haneda. Haneda is a large, modern, very impressive airport with very good facilities. S'pore airport is also really amazing, among the most efficient I've ever been.

ANA actually has better domestic routes than JAL. ANA is StarAlliance partner, so FFP w/UA. Yes, their office seems to be raided by FBI, but I checked the news and looks like nothing to do with their operations or safety/terrorism.

He might be in Japan right in the middle or toward the end of chrry blossom season. Probably the best time of the year to visit. If you haven't done so, you can get more country-specific advice from the Asia forum.
Mar 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks, W9London! hadn't thought about cherry blossom season!

i forwarded your helpful info to my husband.

oh, and apparently i didn't understand the concept of the noise-cancelling headphones. he's all excited about them.