Business class flights to Japan

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:49 AM
J62
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Business class flights to Japan

I'm looking into JFK (or EWR) to NRT business class options. Options are CO 777, UAL 777, AA 777 or JAL 747.

My impression is that AA 777 Bus class (2-3-2) is dated (I've flown many times) and 777s are not due for upgrade till next year. I hear great things about CO 777s (2-2-2 seating, 2 class plane). UAL flies 2-3-2, 3 class, and same with JAL lower level. JAL upper deck is 2-2 business class, and has the 'shell' seats on the flights I'm looking at.

Something about 747 upper level I always find comfortable, quieter which makes the JAL 747 seem more attractive than the AA or UAL flights.

Does anybody have anything really good to say about AA, UAL, or JAL biz class? For FF miles I'd really like NOT to fly CO, but will consider it if it's so much better than the others.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I've flown United business several times and like AA, their planes are dated and are due for an upgrade next year. I'm assuming the "shell" seats on JAL are the more up-to-date seats that lie flat at about a 170 degree angle. If so, they are far superior to the UAL and AA business class seats.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I just checked seatguru.com - CO also has the old-style seats.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Hi, J62! I flew the month before last on JAL from JFK to Tokyo and back, in business class on the 747 main deck.

The seats are the new style shell seats; they are actually more comfortable for dozing, sleeping, or reclining rather than for simply sitting.

I found the inflight entertainent fairly basic and pretty boring. The IFE was lacking the AirShow feature, in case you like to know where the plane is flying over.

The food was good; I also felt that the Japanese meals were very Japanese (not Asian lite as elsewhere). The snacks were varied and tasty, but you must speak up and ask for them.

I found the staff to be business-like and somewhat stiff, similar to a civil service operation. I attribute the stiffness to my own inability to converse in Japanese.

I had redeemed American Airlines miles to get this award flight. Many persons told me beforehand, and afterwards, that the JAL flight is heaven compared to the AA flight, so I can only imagine how bad that AA flight must really be.

Whichever carrier you choose, enjoy the trip!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:49 PM

ANA has specials for business class to Japan.

Go to www.fly-ana.com and click on:
Fares/Offers
-> Fare
-> Business Value Fares
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM
J62
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. ANA fare is much better than the others published fare, esp. for NS JFK to NRT flights.

Found out company has discount plan w/ JAL & AA ($5600 RT), so likely to take JAL 747 flight pass on AA till they upgrade with new J class on 777s.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Flew ANA from HKG - NRT - SFO this week and was happy with them. HKG - NRT was on a 767. NRT - SFO was a 777 in their business section "Club ANA". New seats that were close to a full recline, with plenty of room. Service was good.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 03:56 AM

Flew DFW-NRT-BKK-NRT-DFW this week on AA and JAL.

DFW-NRT was AA first class 777. Suite type seats going over and coffin type seats coming back. I preferred the suite seats, but the coffins reclined completely and were fine. Overall great flight--can't imagine JAL any better.

The flights from NRT-BKK were JAL 747 Business Class (Two classes of service only on these flights). Going over, I had reserved a seat in the nose of the plane (normally what would be first class so I'm told). I found them to be more cramped and they did not recline flat. Maybe something with being in the nose of the plane since it tapers to the front. Service is very good, but I'm unaccustomed to the food and found the Western options unedible. Also, they passed around an amenity basket, but no amenity kit. Flight was deemed to be a "long-haul" flight.

Returning flight from BKK-NRT was further back in the business class cabin (near the staircase to the upper-deck). I had also reserved in the nose for the return, but due to the coup I changed my tickets to an earlier departure and this was unavailable. I didn't find these seats to be very comfortable at all. They were more cramped that the seats in the nose. Although on this leg I passed on the meal and just had the Ramen-Sky noodle soup and Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream. This was much better than the Western meal I had on the outbound.

I'd prefer being on the AA 777.

When is Japan going to update its airport? The time spent in Narita (was the worst part of the trip)!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:01 AM

My vote is for JAL all the way...especially business class.

Andrew
TripTie.com
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM

JAL Business Class was really good. Nice Shell seats, almost flat but were quite comfortable.
The food was OK, not great, dh & I each sampled Japanese food and Western and both were OK. Good French Champagne. We really like the upstairs seating. On the leg from Narita - BKK they put us in 1st at the nose and it was REALLY nice with even better shell beds, (which we fell fast asleep on).
Sue
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM
J62
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I'm flying JAL and will report back on impression when I return.