Delta's trans-Atlantic news

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, surprising and disappointing news from Delta regarding their 767-300ERs. According to this official blog on their website, they will not be putting PTVs in coach for their longhaul workhorses:

blog.delta.com/2007/08/31/enhancing-the-entertainment-experience/#comment-177

That is, not only will they have no AVOD, but simply no personal video screen. The official line is that they add too much weight, but that's a <b>lame excuse</b> (unless for one scenario, which I will explain later).

Why would they put AVOD on the domestic 763s and 738s, as well as newly acquired trans-Atlantic 752s, but not on their main fleet for many European routes, as well as their supposedly very lucrative African service? Makes little sense, except to save money. Even Lufthansa is starting to put PTVs on their A340s - the last major airline to give their passengers PTVs.

And the newer AVOD systems are really not that heavy. They don't require the box underneath each bank of seats, and since the newer seats will be lighter, they really don't add weight. For example, even Continental is putting AVOD and new seats on their 757s, which often have to make fuel stops from Northern Europe to EWR in the winter.

Many passengers may not notice the difference between old-style PTVs and new AVODs, but they do notice the lack of any PTVs. DL's going to offer a very strange experience to its passengers.

---

Secondly, DL just started using their newly acquired, ex-TW, ex-AA 752s for trans-Atlantic service, joining CO, NW, AA, US (and Icelandair), with JFK-SNN. Other proposed routes include JFK-MAN, EDI, and - surprisingly - FRA. I can't remember how many DL is getting in total, but more JFK-Europe routes will be going to the 752s.

They will start getting AVODs installed later this year for full cabin. So, you may have AVOD on a DL 752 going to Europe next year, but you will not get even a personal screen on their 59 767-300ERs.

---

Now, back to the point about their excuse on weight. Okay, let's say they are indeed correct that they add a little. But all of DL's European routes are well within range of their 763ERs from JFK and ATL.

So, weight can only be an issue if they're going to start a bunch of routes from LAX. Or they're going to push a significant portion of their 763ERs out of Europe, and into Africa. Those markets can command high fares, and with little competition, people will fly them with or without PTVs.

Anyways, I don't think that's the case. I think they're just being cheap. Too bad.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Delta is awful! i only speak of their internal USA flights ...... but, i know someone who recently flew them on the non-stop JFK-Bombay and mentioned that it was the single worst flight that they had ever been on! what is standard procedure RE cleaning of toilets on a 15hour flight? just wait for the flight to land and the ground staff clean it after the flight? apparently the toilets stunk real bad!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I posted a question recently asking about personal video screens on the new Delta flight from Kennedy to Pisa. I was so excited to get seats on this plane to avoid changing planes. Now you have me wondering?! No personal screens, smelly toilets. My first experience flying overseas was WONDERFUL on Alitalia. Seems like Delta's isn't going to be so great.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

I wouldn't worry about smelly toilets. That can happen to any airline, any aircraft when there's a malfunction. It usually doesn't happen on DL or any other airline.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Smelly toilets-read India flight with 15 hours! Flight attendants can only do so much...........
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Dutyfree-I got news for you: a lot of F/As DON'T TOUCH the lavs during a 15 hour flight-they just don't, and of course, they keep a lav locked in the back for their special and unsullied use!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Uh Girlspytravel- I have been a flight attendant for 34 years and have NEVER kept one bathroom for the f/a's personal use AND I straighten up lavs periodically along with my other flying partners on our overseas flights!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Well, I think you're in the distinct minority-on every transatlantic flight I can think of, the F/As have one lav blocked in the back for their personal use-although I can't say I blame them-I wouldn't go in those lavs either if I didn't have to! American carriers are much worse than European carriers about the stinky, icky lavs, it seems. I flew Air France some months ago and the lavs were quite nice-all the way through!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

I have flown plenty of trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific flights on various airlines, and I've never noticed any locked lavatories for sole use by the FAs.

You must be very lucky to have that happen to you on EVERY trans-Atlantic flight. I suggest you go out and buy a lottery ticket ASAP.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM
LT

Sorry to hear this. I have a feeling this is a decision that will come back to bite DL. And, BTW, the blog does mention cost as a factor.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Are you sure that there wasn't a mechanical problem with the lav or possibly someone had gotten so sick in there that it was unusable? Serious, I have flown alot since I was 2 years old on many different airlines along with my 34 years as a flight attendant and have NEVER witnessed what you mention on any airline either here in the US or overseas.It won't make sense as there are very few lavs on a plane for the number of passengers and most F/A's would not want that many people lining up for a limited amount of lavs,trust me. The passenger lines are already long when they are all working.
The only thing that most F/A's do is have Purell in their smock pockets so when you cannot get to the lav you can wash you hands.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:11 AM

As an ex-int'l FA myself, I never experienced any co-worker locking a lav for our use on ANY flight. The only time we kept a lav locked was if it was unusable.