Cincinnatti (CVG) connection---sure seems tight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm booked on a Delta affiliate (Atlantic Southeast) from Mobile into CVG at 6:42pm on a Thursday, a direct flight. My connection is Delta to Paris at 7:30pm. That doesn't leave much room for error, does it? I'm pretty worried about the luggage transfer as well. I've already purchased the Coach-L ticket.

There's another Delta affiliate (PINNACLE) with an earlier flight via Memphis. It would get me to Cincinnatti at 5:51, plenty of time for my connection.

Here's my question. If I just go show up at my airport earlier that day, would they let me take the earlier flight(s) if seats are available? (Mobile is a relatively small airport.) Do you think it's worth a try?

Jeanne
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I would aim for a flight that gets you into CVG by 4-430PM at the LATEST. If you are flying a commuter(not Comair which is at Terminal C) then you are going to have to "hoof" it over to Terminal B where the Paris flight leaves out of.45 minutes to an international flight is not giving you anytime for a weather problem,mechanical or even another TSA search at the gate which they do.I would call Delta and see what you can do as I would be very nervous with that tight of a connection for an overseas flight.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Well, I said I was worried. Now I'm really worried.

Does anyone know the chances of their letting me take the earlier flight?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM

48 minutes at CVG isn't too bad. No need to over-worry. Chances are you will make your connection.

I wouldn't try for a complicated connection like MOB-MEM-CVG-CDG. The more legs in a journey, the more likely something will go wrong.

But do call DL and see if they can put you on another flight through Atlanta.

When's your trip? Because the MOB-CVG flight will be new, and no past record one can look up right now.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:27 PM

JeanneB,

I'm not being a pessimist, but I would be concerned about making this connection. Generally, for an international flight, you need to be on board 30 minutes prior to departure or your reservation is subject to cancellation. Since you are coming in on another flight, they may allow some slack, but the bottom line is that you have very little wiggle room, especially considering that you might have to change concourses in CVG.

Normally, I'd suggest that you simply try to standby for an earlier flight to CVG, but it appears that DL has only one nonstop flight from MOB-CVG each day.

The problem with doing the MEM flight (aside from the issue of adding another segment to the trip) is that it is really a Northwest Airlines flight, codeshared with Delta. I'm inclined to believe that NW is not likely to let you standby on the flight. Also, you'd have the problem of making sure that you could get on the flight from MEM-CVG (essentially, running the risk of getting stuck in MEM).

At this point, I think you have two options. The first is to go with it as it is, understanding that if you miss the flight, DL will be responsible for getting you to Paris, but it's going to be at least a day late. The second option is to pay the change fee to switch your routing. For most airlines, the fee is $100 plus any change in the fare. Depending on how long ago you bought the ticket, this maybe be a small amount or it could be hundreds. I doubt that DL will waive the fee because this is probably a "legal" connection. The unfortunate reality is that airlines sell tickets with connection times that can often be unrealistic.

I hope that this gives you some information that you can use; please let me know if I can be of any additional help.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I didn't realize the early flight was NW. I think you're right that they're unlikely to book me though early.

This is a spur of the moment trip...I just bought my ticket Friday. It was quite expensive and I don't want to pay another $100. Not sure what I'll do, but I really appreciate all the information.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Personally, I would be nervous about the connection. I don't like to cut a connection that close, especially with an international connection.

If you try for an earlier flight, those all go through Atlanta. Then you would have to stand-by for a flight from Atlanta to Cincinnati. Those are notoriously full.

If your flight to Cincinnati out of Mobile is running late, there is a later flight to Atlanta (on the Thursday that I checked). And then there is a late flight to Paris (a code share flight) out of Atlanta.

If I were you, I would see if I could change my flights so that I would connect through Atlanta. You have many more options for connections that way. Delta has a few non-stops daily from Atlanta to Paris. There are also many more flights from Mobile to Atlanta.

IMO, it would be worth a fee to change my ticket to go through Atlanta.

However, if you decide to stick with your flight to Cincinnati, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

In all likelihood, everything will go as planned and you'll have no problem. But, if your flight out of Mobile is running late, make sure that you ask if you can be put on the flight to Atlanta and if you can be routed to Paris through Atlanta. They might not be able to do this if the flights are full, however. Go on www.delta.com and check the flights from Mobile to Atlanta and from Atlanta to Paris on that date to see if the flights have seats on them. You can check to see which seats are already reserved for specific flights. That will give you a good idea to see how many seats are available. But if the flights are full on your date of travel, you might be out of luck.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:00 PM

You'll be checked through to Paris and have your boarding pass when you leave Mobile. CVG is a very easy airport to connect. There shouldn't be a problem unless you're delayed out of Mobile. We connected in Atlanta to Paris with only a 50 minute connection last year. If we can do it, changing terminals in Atlanta, Cincinnatti will be a piece of cake.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

MoeMom: Yes, I had checked the Atlanta/Paris flights just as a backup. I was thinking much the same as you. As of last night there were open seats on those planes.

I called Delta and it was going to be $280 to change. I've already paid dearly, so I'm going to take my chances. I'll check seating availability on those flights again the morning of my trip. At least I'll be armed with information if a delay looks likely.

Thanks, everyone.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM

I would add that once you and your luggage are checked at MOB all the way through CVG onto CDG you still do not have any idea yet whether or not your first flight to CVG will depart later or not and how much later !
It could be your flight seems to be on time, you check-in, and then a delay occurs at the very end, before take off !
At that stage I am not sure that DL would disembark your luggage from the delayed aircraft and change everything via ATL !

Either you do all changes in advance via ATL with fees, or you have to fly to CVG anyway!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM

If you miss the CDG connection in CVG, then DL will pay your overnight and meals and will most probably fly you to CDG the next day on the AF/DL codeshare flight at 4:25pm.

Last week I flew AF Florence to CDG. Our flight was late out of FLR and there was a group of 18 having a tight connection CDG to LAX.
The FAs and crew were aware of this and once we landed at CDG there were already 3 minubuses down the stairs which carried all passengers directly to the LAX aircraft.
I guess they did the same with the luggage. However they were very efficient to arrange this quick transfer. It is not excluded that they would do the same even for one or two passengers only! All depends how much delay the incoming flight has !
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM

Whether DL will pay for your accomodation and meals at CVG depends on the reason for the misconnect. If it's weather or something else outside of their control, you should be prepared to pay for these expenses yourself.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Just back from a trip with connection at CVG. My connection was supposed to be 45 min., but in reality it was only 30 min accounting for the time the 1st plane waited to park at the gate and exiting from the mid for the plane.

My connection was from C to B, so I had to take a 5 min shuttle. In the end, I made it with time to spare. But, my advise is to not cut it this close, especially for int'l connections with involves changing terminals.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

The flight is already booked. All I can do as it gets close is keep an eye on the weather and keep checking seat availability on alternate flights. There are still lots of seats unfilled.

If it looks too risky I'll have to decide whether to pony up the extra $$$ to change itineraries.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM

make it easier to decide: compare the $$$$ money fee for the change and the chance to have one less day in Paris, then decide !
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM

JeanneB,
Take a deep breath. I connect through CVG frequently, usually with connections of under an hour. I'd say you have a 95% probability of having no issues with your connection, based on my experience. So, weigh that 5% into your decision...but if it were me, I'd put my efforts into planning the rest of the trip. Bon voyage!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

b:

I came to the same conclusion a while back. I still plan to watch the weather both places the day before. If it looks "iffy", I will go to the airport very early in that morning and see if they'll let me on the 6:35 flight to CVG. If not, I'll cross my fingers.

Thanks, all.

PS: I've been watching the afternoon flight to CVG and it leaves 10 minutes early just about every day!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM

reasons for delay might be endless, in addition to the weather.. !! you cannot predict and prevent anything.. !!

good decision !! cross your fingers and save your money for Paris !!
We were there 3 weeks ago and is so much more expensive than in the past... I would say now similar to London !
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Really?! We were there in February and found meals were about 20% more than 3 years ago. Other than that, I didn't notice much change. What did you find more "cher"?
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

BTW, I've decided to go to the airport early regardless of the weather. If they won't let me on the early flight, so be it. As they say, it won't hurt to ask.

(I guess I should do just a little research on what to do in Cinci for a day.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -