hotel and flight question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - with the details of our trip almost all sewn up (I am definitely getting fired from my job, as this is become so wonderfully all-consuming!) I'm seeking just a few more pieces of advice.

1) The NYC-BKK flight. How's Thai Airways? THis is a direct flight (17 hours) which I think would be the least painful way to make the trip. But my husband isn't really an enthusiastic flyer (to put it lightly), and I am wondering if finding a flight with a layover would actually do us good - let him be out of the plane for a little while. Any opinions? Does the Thai Airways direct flight have a stop for re-fueling? Do they have personal screens on the seats in economy class? Seems a silly question but I'm looking to make him as comfortable as possible.

2) Hotel in Siem Reap. Ponheary is recommending the Angkor Holiday Hotel, for which she can get us a deal. Any opinions on this accommodation? Are there any favorite places that are cozy and unique?

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Non-stop is the least painful way.

This flight does not require a refuel.

Yes, there are personal video screens with AVOD on each seat.

You may want to consider flying premium economy for a little more.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM

Thai Air is nice. For loong trips, I much prefer non-stops. To stop just means you have to take off and land another time (i hate that part of flying), deal with the lines, carry on checks and the uncertainties of a new group of passengers and flight attendants. NOt to mention it gives them one more place to delay or cancel your flight and another opportunity to lose or damage your bags!

Take the direct!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM

ask me in two weeks after i get off of it....from all accounts it is fantastic....have your hubby take some pills....we always take some...
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
jgg

We just came back and did the LAX-BKK flight. On the way there we did have a refueling stop but not on the way back. I was really concerned about how we were all going to deal with the long flight, but it really wasn't that bad. The individual on-demand tv screens were a huge help, the service was great and the food wasn't even that bad. In the end it was a lot easier than I was expecting and we didn't use any sleeping pills or anything. I would definitely not do a layover for all the reasons lcuy mentioned.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM

TG has only four 340-500 for the two ultra-longhaul routes, LAX-BKK and JFK-BKK. When one goes to maintenance, they'll replace a LAX flight with a 340-600, stopping in Osaka, in general.

I'm not aware of them ever putting a 346 on JFK-BKK.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM

I've taken the BKK-LAX flight 7 times. Non-stop is definitely the way to go. Service from Thailand to the USA has always been better than the other direction. The flight usually gets in early, but last time do to heavy head winds, it took 17 hours, 51 minutes from LAX-BKK. If you want to sleep during the flight, be sure to use the "Do not disturb" sticker thats in the seat pocket. Otherwise, they'll wake you for mid-flight meal service (they turn on all the cabin lights, so if you're light sensitive, use an eyemask (ear plugs help too!).
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM

I take the LAX-Bangkok-LAX, Thai Air, non-stop flight twice a year for vacation. I prefer non-stop. The plane leaves at night, so it's quiet and the screaming kids and chattering folks fall asleep. And yes, everyone gets a private TV/movie screen.
In December, the flight was to leave at 9:30PM, but didn't leave until 12:30AM. Dinner was served very late. I didn't eat it-no desire to eat that late. The next meal wasn't served until a around 12 noon... L.A. time. So, if I were you, I'd pack some cup-of-noodles...just in case you get hungry. They have them on the plane, but a lot of people were asking for them because folks were obviously hungry. If you take your own, then you only have to ask for hot water and you can eat when you are hungry.
I also like to fly the non-stop flights since the chance of the luggage getting lost/delayed diminishes. Plus, once the plane lands, you're there. Happy Travels!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:21 AM

What kind of deal can you get at the Angkor Holiday. I don't know your dates but in low seasom through a discounter, a sup room should be around $34 net with breakfast and a deluxe $52. The location is not bad but it is a good walk to the town centre.

Personelly I like the Bopha Angkor which is in a better location and gets very good reviews. Slighty more expensive but well worth it.
http://www.bopha-angkor.com/
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I would also add that the seats in regular econ on the Thai nonstops are definitely superior to coach seats on other airlines in terms of width and pitch. (I don't have the exact figures at the moment, but I did check and compare before I flew.)
It is also nice that it is a 2-4-2 seat configuration.

Guen-

When I took the Thai non-stop from NY 2 years ago, they had ramen noodles and other snacks on offer in between meal times. Do they not do that anymore?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM

The thai air flight was the best flight to asia I have ever taken. Love the times it leaves and arrives and you save close to 7 hours! Airline itself is terrific. When I took it from NY it was non stop both ways.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Cruisinred...Yes, they have cup-a-noodles (ramen)...but when one person asks for it then lots start to ask...and I doubt if they have enough cup-a-noodle (ramen) for everyone. So, that's why I suggest to bring one's own and then just ask for hot water.Happy Travels!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Sorry about your job!

Consider flying All Nippon (ANA). You stop in Japan for a couple hour layover, which is nice for your husband, and then you hop on another plane for 6 hours to BKK. They have the personal screens and the air hostesses are very attentive and nice.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this advice. But I ran into a problem with Thai airways - has anyone experienced this as well: as I was trying to book online, they did not ask for my credit card number. They issued me a reservation code, they let me choose seats - everything you would normally do when reserving a flight online. But they did NOT ask for my payment info. I thought maybe it froze - but then I read on my confirmation, next to "Payment" they wrote "I will call you with payment details" - so I waited....this was 2 nights ago. Then I began to call them. Nobody home after repeated calls to the NYC office. Then feeling panicked, I called the Contact Center in Thailand and waited on hold for 20 minutes before I finally just gave up and hung up. So now, I fear I don't have tickets?? I'm going to call the NYC office again today, and if nobody picks up, I'm just going to show up there. Any other advice?

Also - as for hotels in LP - I've read on this board that 3 Nagas is nice. The website looks beautiful - and it's hard to judge but it seems kind of removed. Is it too far away from the heart of LP? And is that a good/bad thing?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Call the Thai Air office in Los Angeles to straighten out payment.

The 3 Nagas is right on the main drag in LP slightly towards the end of the peninsula. It is very well-located. You're going to be walking all over town, so trying to pick the perfect location is useless.