A missed Southwest flight

Oct 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

A missed Southwest flight

For all the times I have flown on Southwest, I should know the answer to this question but I haven't actual had this ever happen to me - not yet anyway.

What happens if I miss my Southwest flight? I will have checked in online.

I am afraid that I may have booked my flight home too close to my doctor's appointment and might not make it to the airport [Hobby], through security and to the gate on time.

Will they put me on the next flight? I assume that I will have to pay the huge difference in fares [my fare was $89 and the unrestricted fare is now $249].
The flight in question is 10/24.

Thanks,
Debi

Oct 20th, 2007, 04:57 AM

This happened to me on a flight from MDW to MCI. SWA let me stand by for the next flight. I don't know if I lucked out and received a nice agent, or if this is typical policy.
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Did you have to pay additional $$ to fly on that standby seat?
Thanks,
Debi
Oct 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I believe that almost all airlines have what's called "flat tire rule". If you miss your scheduled flight but arrive at the airport within 2 hours after your flight left they will allow you to stand by on the next available flight without any additional charges, but it must be a flight on the same day. If your flight was the only one to the destination then you may be out of luck.

I don't know how SW operates but from what I hear, they are the most liberal about stand by policies so I would not be too worried unless that's the only flight to your destination.
Oct 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM

They did not charge me.
Oct 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM

We missed our flight to Las Vegas in June 2006. They were able to put up on the next flight, and there was no additional charge. This was with US Airways who is not anywhere near as Passanger friendly as SW. I would not worry with SW. They are always very nice and customer oriented.
Oct 20th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Just don't wear a low cut shirt and short skirt!
Oct 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM

We were running very late for our flight from Houston to New Orleans last year (due to wonderful Houston traffic and construction!) and we weren't sure we would have time to return the rental car and make the flight.

So, DH dropped off me and the kids while he went to return the car. We took all luggage with us - even his carryon - so he wouldn't have to worry about it. I had already checked in online, so we were able to check all the bags at curbside (I DID remember to give DH his copy of the boarding pass).

I asked at the gate whether there would be any problems with him getting on the next flight and they said no. NO mention of additional costs. As it turned out, he made it with room to spare because the security lines were short....but we were sweating it for a bit!

Good luck!!!
Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM

Debi - think you should be fine. Technically, they can charge the difference, but like others I've never had them do it.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:38 AM

The only downside to standbys - you are standing by, it's not a guarantee. If the later flight(s) are sold out, if there are irr ops, etc. you may be at the airport for a very long time.

Anybody from missed connection to higher fares will be ahead of you during a standby. Something to consider when chosing a later flight to standby.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM

One thing I recommend is to have your cell phone, and if you see you're going to be late - call Southwest and have them book you into the next available flight BEFORE you miss your flight. I was stuck in traffic once, so I called them, and they booked me on a later flight - with no additional charge. I, luckily, had a printout of my itinerary, and their number - and they made it really easy, so I had no hassles or delays at all when I did get to the airport....
Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM

Well of course if you miss your flight getting on the next flight is on "stand-by" regulations. That is a given.
Oct 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

We made the flight with time to spare. They use new boarding system at Dallas with the numbered sequence as well as the lettered sections. It worked GREAT!

I was afraid that we might end up with C passes since when I checked in for our first flight [23hours 59 minutes ahead] it would not let me check in for second leg. Even later on when it was less than 24 hours in advance of the second flight, I still couldn't check in.

When we got to airport and printed boarding passes, we got all passes and we were in A group even for second flight with numbers 8 & 9.

Thanks all for the input.
Debi