Delta Online Booking Questions

Jun 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Delta Online Booking Questions

Two quick questions:

1. For my return leg I am seeing a ton of options on Kayak. However, when I go directly to delta.com those flights are not showing up. If I link directly from Kayak, then they do. Any reason why???

2. When do you get to select seats? This is for international travel occurring 9/1 and returning 9/12. I can see a ton of available seats (according to their website) and it says you get to select before purchase. However, when I select those flights it goes to the next step where it asks for traveler names and credit card information. I want to be sure seats are actually available before inputting my credit card information though and I don't want to call and pay a booking fee.

Any thoughts?

My apologies for my ignorance. This is my first time using delta.
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM

2. I think, and I am about 90% sure, if the seats are not available, you cannot pick them - so if Delta website allows you to choose the seats, they are yours.

The thing with Delta, the seats will be re-shuffled, so if you are buying coach there is no guarantee they won't move you.

It's been my experience, if I had a window seat, they would move me to another row keeping the window seat, or aisle seat - whatever I'd picked.
Jun 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayenu. The weird thing is that on other websites (AA, UA) they let you select the seats at the same time that you pay. Delta's website looks like you input all the CC information, get charged, and then maybe it pops up on another screen?

All the websites I checked for seats show my flights as being virtually empty at this point, but it is very important for me to select 2 seats next to each other (it's a 2-4-2 configuration and I want both of the 2s). Location on the plane isn't as important....probably prefer closer to the rear to ensure my luggage stays with me.
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM

You can choose your seats when you book. Near the top of the screen where you input your payment information, there will be a box that says "Choose seats" Click on it and it takes you to the seat map and you choose your seats. Then save that and go back and enter your information.
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Delta website is flaky. You need to make some specific selections to pull up the flights you want. If you are doing open jaw, select multi-city and specific times (don't check price, check schedule). If you have a layover somewhere, enter that as another city selection and select a time that will eliminate some of the other flights. You may have to fool around with it a bit. Each time you do it, you might get selections you didn't get before.
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

MD: Thank you very much! I will look for that button on the website!

KY: How strange.....the return flights they are giving me have some awful 24 hour layovers! It's insane!
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM

If it is an international flight, it might be on one of Delta's codeshare partners, and that might be the reason you are not allowed to select your seats.

Also - I THINK Delta has you enter your info, but you go to a confirmation screen before you actually purchase, and you can choose your seats there.

If you are really afraid, call Delta, ask for ONLINE/WEB ASSISTANCE (the reservation agent will transfer you), give them the flight numbers, and ask if you can select seats when you book. I have found that the online helpdesk often knows the regular reservation agents' jobs as well as their own and so are twice as helpful. Also, the last few times I have called I have gotten US-based people, so that was nice.

Dayenu -- What are the circumstances under which seat shuffling has happened to you? Just curious, as I cannot imagine Delta moving people around randomly.
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:01 AM

What are your return flights/cities? If you are doing a short hop in Europe and it's on a KLM flight, you probably won't be able to select those seats.
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM
DRJ

All my miles are with Delta. Their website is truly medieval.
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Delta even shuffled kids around. In the news this past week they were in charge of 2 young children. Delta got them mixed up and sent each to the wrong destination.

They also lost my grown children's luggage when they went to Brazil and they didn't get it for one week. Delta than lost it on the way home.

Don't depend on Delta - be thankful you get a seat and end up in the right destination with your luggage.
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

My flights are all on Delta, not KLM.

I am: 9/1 from MIA -> DTW (1:19 departure) and DTW -> AMS (departing around 7ish)

Then 9/12 from BRU -> ATL (departing around 10:30ish) and then ATL -> MIA

I will NOT be checking luggage....doing too much train travel in Europe to take that chance (and don't want to lug around big bags)!
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM

I would just book the flights and not worry. All the "2" seats have not disappeared since you first posted, and they are unlikely to disappear en masse between the time you book and the time you go to select seats, if indeed you cannot pick seats until after you have purchased the tickets.

But I think you WILL be able to select seats before the purchase is finalized.

Worst case - spend the extra $20 per passenger to get a reservations agent to book the tickets and give you exactly the seats you want that way.
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I pulled up all your flights on Delta's website.
9/1 DL #2902
9/1 DL #242
9/12 DL #125
9/12 DL #69

Price is $978.60. Is that the price you were looking for?
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM

"Dayenu -- What are the circumstances under which seat shuffling has happened to you?" - I don't remember if this was our flight from Dominican Rep. or from Ft Lauderdale - on one of those we were moved from 20+ row to 30+ - but we had the cheapest tix, so this was sort of expected

Maybe the reason was that we got the tix very far in advance?

What I liked, is they just moved us back, keeping our preferred seating, for example, if we were in 26c, 26d, moved to 32c, 32d.

By the way, it happens on Delta, if you search this forum, you'll see posts from others.

So far we're OK with Delta, going to Europe in August with KLM, back w/Delta.
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

KY: Yes! That is the exact price I have been seeing on Kayak. I'm doubting that they are going to go down anytime soon....so I'll probably bite the bullet in the next 2 weeks and purchase.

Cranachin: I thought about doing the travel agent thing. On my business flights our travel agent has been able to secure exit rows and bulkheads for us! The cost is $32/ticket though.

I do hope you're right and that you get to choose seats right away. Perhaps it is all on that final confirmation screen.

I have no problem being moved back. We'll probably go towards the rear of the plane to be in seating group 1 or 2. Want to ensure they don't force us to gate check our luggage (we're doing carry-on only).
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Dayenu--

Interesting. I have noticed that sometimes Delta fails to assign me the seat I requested when booking, so I always double-check (before I log out) that I actually got the seats I wanted. But I have never had them switch my seats later, unless it was because of an equipment change or a flight cancellation.

I could not find any threads of Delta switching seats when it was not one of the reasons I mentioned (unless it was years ago - I did not look at threads past 2007). Did I miss something? I searched "delta seats".