Delta Seat Assignments

Mar 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Delta Seat Assignments

Is there a reason why I can't pick my seat assignments for my flights in late May?

There was a schedule change a few weeks ago and since that time I have only been able to choose seats on one of my four flights.

So basically I don't know where I'm sitting on 3 of my flights becuase they don't show up when I click on "choose your seats."

Thanks in advance.
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I find this an infuriating part of travel - although others here have disagreed. Somehow, it eases my anxiety to know that I have an actual seat, although I know there can still be problems.

Only a certain percentage of seats are assignable in advance - others are reserved for frequent travelers, etc. I am not totally sure why this is the case, but it just is.

Sounds like the equipment may have changed on your flights, so that screws up everything even more. Sometimes we have had success calling. Still, I often arrive at airport and find that the seats I thought I had are not the ones I end up with.

Sometimes I think they do it just to be more annoying.
Mar 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Just call Delta. They'll "clean up" your record and you'll be able to see your seat assignments again (or choose them if you haven't done so). If you already had seat assignments prior to the schedule change and there was no change of equipment, more than likely you still have the same seats, you just can't see them online until they get around to fixing your itinerary. It's a quirk of the Delta website that can be very confusing. Even if you never call (which I don't usually anymore), your itinerary will eventually be fixed and you can see your seat assignments again. But if you're concerned, call.
Mar 27th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Sometimes they have a block of seats "held" for a certain amount of time. I, too, try to keep an eye on our itineraries since they seem to change so often before flights but have had the seats being held open up in plenty of time to get at least close to what we were looking for. Good luck.
Mar 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I agree with Patty--it is a "clean up" issue with Delta. I don't think Bellman's issue is the held seats.

I had the same problem when my flights to Florida for April had schedule changes. When I looked online, it seemed like I lost my assigned seating, and I couldn't re-select anything online. But when I called, they were able to re-process my record, and the same seats were re-assigned (because they were actually held by my record locator).
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

Only problem is, you have to deal with those annoying off-shore customer service agents, who speak English but are unable to adapt to the American cadence of speech, inflections, and idiomatic expressions! THIS is why I prefer AA, if possible!

Jun 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I can't even see the flights on which I want to select seats. When the screen comes up, two segments on two separate itineraries are not in the lineup. Strange thing is, both itineraries are international. On one, the domestic segment is not available. On the other, it's the intl. segment. These are Delta flights, not a codeshare, partner, etc. Can anyone tell me why this is? Is it a site glitch or a problem with my records specifically?
Jun 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I am also in agreement with Patty and Fluffnfold. Call Delta. When they make flight changes the web site records seem to get messed up. This is true even if the flight only changed by a few minutes, in which case a new flight number is sometimes issued, and even if they don't change equipment. If you had seats, you will still have the same ones. If you don't already have them, you will be able to choose them.

While it is true that some seats are held for a period of time, that is probably not the reason for Bellman's or Amy's problem.

They will "fix" your record, and you'll either be able to choose your seats on the website or have them do that while you are on the phone. If you can't see the plane configuration at all, pull up the type of plane on seatguru.com so you'll know where the seats are while talking to the Delta agent.

Jun 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Amy,
Are you saying when you click the Choose Your Seats button from the Itineraries page, the flight that had the schedule change is missing from the following seat selection page? If so, that's normal and the flight in question won't re-appear until Delta fixes your record (which will happen automatically as it gets closer to your departure) or you call in to have them fix it now.

But if you're saying that the flight is completely missing from your Itineraries page (not just after you hit Choose Your Seats), then there might be something wrong. When there's a schedule change, before the record is fixed, your Itineraries page should list the original flight with "Schedule Changed" under Flight Segment Status followed by the new flight (which could have the same or a different flight number) with "Confirmed" under Flight Segment Status. Under Seating Assignment, you'll also see this segment listed twice (for example, LAX-ATL followed by LAX-ATL). If you're seeing something different than what I described, it may be an issue specific to your record.

The schedule change = seat assignment selection disappearance is an annoying problem. I've had 3 schedule changes within the past month on the same flight. The first 2 also involved an equipment change, so I had to call and check what seats we were re-assigned and re-select them when necessary. This latest change however didn't involve a change of equipment, so I'm just going to let it fix itself later on.
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM

Calling Delta is a pain. I always shoot off an email requesting cleanup of the record, all in one short sentence. They get it done in under 24 hours usually and email back that it is completed. No fuss, no muss...
Jun 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM

Patty, you understood me exactly. Thank you for the clarification. That is the common thread in these two itineraries -- a schedule change.

No Fly Zone, I am trying to send them an e-mail now. Hope it works for me, too. Has to be better than listening to the hold muzak! I lately heard one of those songs out in the "real" world somewhere and thought I was having a bad dream!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:51 AM

Okay, Delta did clean up my itineraries overnight. I was shifted back to a non-reclining seat on one flight, but just a short hop. Changed it. All other seat assignments were as originally chosen.

But, a glitch on the website remains. On my itinerary page, I show seats for both the CDG-ATL and ATL-SRQ legs. However, when I go to the next page to "Choose Your Seat" the CDG-ATL seats don't show up in the little boxes (making it look like I haven't chosen seats yet). The ATL-SRQ leg isn't even on that page, so I couldn't change seats if I wanted to....except by calling, of course.

This is merely annoying, not a dreadful problem. I just find it strange that this has been going on for some time and Delta is not able to remedy the problem.