Delta Cancellation

Jun 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Delta Cancellation

So I just came home from JFK as my flight to Zurich was cancelled. It was a frustrating experience (of course). I think Delta must be having some serious problems. Is it still in bankruptcy proceedings?

The flight was scheduled to take off at 10:10 pm, but around 9:30, they moved the departure time to 1 am. Then around 11:30 pm they said the plane was ready and they summoned the passengers, but then around 12:30 am, there was still no activity. Supposedly they were waiting for the flight crew, whom they claimed they paged but were at the lounge. I was so annoyed that I offered to walk over to the lounge and knock on the door.

It just seemed like a load of bs. The flight was finally cancelled for lack of a pilot.

I took a cab home and the cab driver told me that a bunch of Delta flights were cancelled in the past week, both at La Guardia and JFK.

In the end I got my tickets refunded (or so I was told). I was hoping to get some kind of vouchers or at least something that covered my cab fares, but you can just imagine the mob scene at the airport. It just didn't seem worth it. But if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

I'll be avoiding Delta.
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM

I'm surprised you didn't get some offer of vouchers, considering that when I took Delta for MAD-JFK, they gave everyone who went to the trouble to claim it, a $100 voucher because of problems with the entertainment system.

I suppose you could boycott Delta, but don't you think it's just as likely that next trip, some other airline will do this?
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Delta lost my kids luggage both ways to Brazil. The put a claim in because they had to buy some clothes to wear etc - the bags were lost for one week before arriving in Brazil. They did get some compensation from Delta. So it is worth a letter to Delta to ask for cab fare anyway.
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM

I have a thread here about Delta. Had a lovely (NOT) experience with them last week. I love travelling and all my past trips have been perfect EXCEPT the air part it seems. I dread it anymore.
Jun 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Just a postscript to this. I finally got around to calling their 800 number again today. Within a half hour or an hour today, I went through the trouble of pressing various numbers to get through the system, until some voice came on to tell me that they were too busy to handle additional callers.

So they hung up on me three times.

If that doesn't signify some deep trouble with Delta, I don't know what does.
Jun 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Oh, no, this is not what I'd like to see

We have Delta for August. Darn. Sorry