Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Now what would happen if Delta or United went under....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I have Delta tickets (2 frequent flyer, 2 paid) from Atlanta to Mexico in late July...they're good fares, I have nonrefundable hotels, classes, whatever built around those dates, and I have work committments cleared for that time.

Delta announced yesterday they're considering filing for bankruptcy...now I know that means they'll continue business but what would happen if they couldn't....does another airline buy their assets? Are our tickets then worthless? Anyone have experience with this?
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Delta has been doing this for about a year now. We have flown Delta quite a few times after their numerous bankruptcy announcements. The last time this happened I called Delta, I happened to get a manager and he told me that if they were not flying thye place you on another carrier, thye do not leave you hanging. The tickets will still be honored. It does take a while to file bankruptcy, I think you will be OK for July. you can always call Delta toll free and ask. 1 800-221-1212
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM

I doubt it will be a problem. If they file they will most likely re-organize with a bunch of cost cutting measures such as dropping employee pension plans. At least that has been the history when others have done the same. I just flew them to France and have lots of miles and am not too worried about it. Remeber Delta is also part of Skyteam so you have a bunch of other airlines, i.e. Aeromexico to redeem them with.
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM

We always use my husband's Delta miles from business trips, in order to go on all of my excursions to Mexico. Still have a ton of miles, and currently earning....I think that we'll be okay for awhile---and you should be fine for your trip this summer---they'll still be honored.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Delta won't be gone by July. You have nothing to worry about. Even if they do file by then, it will be Ch11 and they'll continue to operate. If there are any changes or reductions in flight schedules, they'll reaccomodate you on other Delta or partner operated flights.