Altalia flights operated by Delta from US to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have recent experience in flying Altalia from US to Rome. My family is booked and supposed to leave in approximately two weeks, but looked at satisfaction ratings recently and found dissatisfied customers. Any information?
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
J62

I don't understand your question. Are you asking about an Alitalia flight, or a Delta flight?

If the flight is operated by Delta it's a Delta airplane, Delta crew, Delta service, etc. It's a Delta flight.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM

I just flew Delta from Atlanta to Rome last month. It may have been a codeshare with Alitalia. Ironically it was a Northwest crew, and a Northwest A330 plane. No problems in either direction.
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

The question wasn't very clear, and I apologize. We have booked on an Alitalia flight from Atlanta, but it is operated by Delta(which apparently is owned by Northwest). We have read many negative responses about Alitalia and were concerned (1) primarily about safety (2)about the service. The plane is an Airbus 330. We booked through American Express through Delta. Any experiences with that air carrier would be appreciated. Needless to say, this is our first trip to Italy.
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM

If it operated by Delta, you will be flying Alitalia in name only. You'll have an American crew and plane. I've flown Delta to Europe many times and have no complaints
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Hey Abbot!

Last time I flew Delta operated flight the cabin crew was British, and the logo on the plane was Northwest, and plane was an Airbus, made in Europe. Not an American plane. Not an American crew. But a Delta flight nonetheless. I believe the wine was French and the chocolate Swiss.

Who's on first?
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM

Well, I was checking flights yesterday just for the fun of it since we have already booked, but I went through the process on Delta and the fine print said to check in at AirOne (Alitalia) for a trip to Rome - same flight number, date, time of departure and arrival as ours and we booked it on Alitalia.
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM

If it is a codeshare with Alitalia but operated by Delta, it will be a Delta plane and crew although as noted they could be using a plane that still has the NW paint (which is likely if it's an A330) and it could be a NW crew. The merger between NW and DL isn't fully integrated yet. And for the record, DL took over NW, not the other way around.

Alitalia does get a lot of bad reviews, but some people think they're fine.

The A330 generally gets pretty good reviews.
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:29 AM

As of now the Atlanta Rome Delta flight is on the Northwest airbus. Seems (as of now) it will be back on the Delta Boeing 767 October 26 and at 4:35 pm. Alitalia out of Atlanta is a code share with Delta and it will be a flight on "Delta" but Northwest. Just have to go with the merger flow for now. I quickly checked a flight I have booked with Delta/NW and also checked it on the Alitalia site. Same flight Delta/NW. Hope Airone helps Alitalia. I fly Airone very often and like them. Alitalia? ummm well. I don't use them, can't review.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:38 AM

My husband,niece and I flew Boston to Rome on Alitalia last month and had no problems at all.
I didn't think they were any better or any worse than any other air line I've flown to Europe.
and the price was right!
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Bettina222, was it AirOne? Did you get the seats you were originally assigned?
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:29 AM

Just returned from 2 weeks in Italy on Thursday....Boston to Rome roundtrip on Alitalia/partnered with Delta, (Delta skymiles are accepted) Alitalia is now operated by AirOne which is part of Lufthansa. The plane was Airone with an Alitalia crew. In any event, the flights were actually great as the plane both ways was half full and the entire back of the plane was empty so you could grab the four middle seats to sleep if you preferred. As Bettina indicated, it was a typical international flight, with decent food and complimentary wine/beer the whole flight. No complaints at all.

Mikek
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Airone and Alitalia are both owned and operated now by Compagnia Aerea Italiana, which will change it's name to Alitalia if it hasn't already. Air France/KLM are expected to take over a 25% interest in the new "Alitalia" Airone used to codeshare with Lufhansa. Don't know where that will go. Not easy to keep up with.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM

We didn't get our originally assigned seats but we still ended up with a seat arrangement that worked for us.
Our flights were not full either