Beaune or Dijon?

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beaune or Dijon?

I'm planing an April trip working my way north through eastern France, and I'm trying to decide whether to spend four nights in Beaune or Dijon. Dijon seems to have more (and cheaper) hotels, more (and better) places to eat, and more to see, plus I'd have to change trains there when I leave. But I won't have a car, and Beaune looks more manageable on foot, and closer to the wineries - I definitely plan some vineyard visits. Any opinions?
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's excellent bus service between the 2 towns. There is more to do in Dijon but it is a larger town. Of the 2 I prefered Beaune for it's villagy feel.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:22 AM
ira

Hi T,

I don;t think that you could do better than staying in Dijon at http://myhomeindijon.com/

Coco is an excellent hostess.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:34 AM

Any reason why you couldn't spend 2 nights in each town?

I enjoyed Beaune, but I loved Dijon.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

<b>Ira</b> - I would like to, but she's out of my price range. I'm looking at Victor Hugo (39 euro), Sauvage (47 for a &quot;style&quot; room) or Jacquemart (48 or 53). Coco would run me 100 euro, and I'm using dollars...

<b>NanBug</b> - I'm trying to take this trip a little slower than usual, and minimize transfers. I'd like to stay in one, and do a day trip to the other. Can you say why you preferred Dijon?
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:44 AM

I thought Dijon had much more to to and see. More energy, a more urban vibe (it is a city, after all), lovely buildings, charming streets, great restaurants, nice people. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Have fun!

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM

As mentioned by previous posters, Dijon has much more to offer, more interesting to see; besides without a car, the public transport network in Dijon is much better.

I Stayed at CoCo's place in Dijon for one week in 2007 during train strike, still getting around sightseeing by bus/train easily.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM
ira

Hi Thurs,

We very much liked the Grillon in Braune.

It is about 15 min walk from the city center.

Singles from 56E plus bkfst.

http://www.hotel-grillon.fr/anglais/home.html

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 03:19 PM

thursdaysd, I agree with every word NanBug wrote... my recommendation would be Dijon as well. My husband and I spent a weekend there this past June and both wished it could have been longer. We stayed in an apartment managed by Max and Beatrice, dijon-rentahome.com, and loved it (thanks Coco for the recommendation). Max does a fabulous wine tour through Beaune which is worth every penny. The location of the apartment is close to everything. The best part is the washer/dryer and the most comfortable bed imaginable. I hope this helps and enjoy where ever it is you decide, I personally can't wait to go back.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks - I've decided on Dijon (although that hotel looks good, ira), but those apartments are out of my price range - I travel solo, apartments tend not to be cost effective for me. I did some research, and Dijon has public transport, so I should be able to get around without too much walking.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM
ira

Have fun, thurs
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM

Hi thursday and thanks all for your support on Dijon (Hi Judy who had to come from Auxerre by taxi because of the strike!)
Have you checked Thurot hotel not far the train station? http://www.hotel-thurot.com/ from 48 to 54&euro; for a single.
cchottel a good friend fodorite went twice to Dijon and stayed there. Very convenient and the area is not as noisy as the immediate train station area. Also close to Darcy garden.
Don't miss the owl's trail which starts there. (ask the tourist office)
coco
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM

I stayed at the Jacquemart and liked it. Nothing fancy, but clean and atmospheric.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi coco - no, that's a hotel I hadn't heard of, thanks. And an owl trail?? Now that's very intriguing - I have a sister who collects owls, I can't pass that up. And thanks for the info on Jacquemart, Cimbrone.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM

Hotel Thurot doesn't advertise much, I heard of it a few years ago only. I agree with Cimbrone about the Jacquemart but it is much further from the train station (west of the ducal palace).
If your sister likes owls it is the town! The owl is the symbol of Dijon and you'll find nice little owls of all sizes to bring back. As for the owl's trail you'll follow the brass triangles on the floor to see all the nicest sites of Dijon.http://www.dijon-tourism.com/uk/dijo...s_chouette.htm and
http://www.travelsignposts.com/wordp...s-trail-france
Don't forget to make a wish by touching our lucky owl (with the left hand) on the side of Notre Dame church (the one with the gargoyles on the front)
Have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

coco - how cool! Now I'm even happier with my decision to stay in Dijon. While my sister collects owls, I collect dragons - do you know if there's a French city I should be visiting for dragons?
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM

Assuming it's OK to link, though I'm sure it will be, as we link to other web resources all the time, here's a link to a very recent discussion asking the same question, on another travel forum I frequent.

http://europetogo.yuku.com/topic/7579
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, kavey - that market sounds fabulous! After checking into the public transport situation, and finding a free shuttle round the center, I sent a reservation request to the Jacquemart, which is really close to that market!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM

You're welcome!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM

Kavey thanks for being so enthousiastic about Dijon on the other board, Dijon is so under rated...
T, now you found the free bus &quot;diviaciti&quot; if you need to go rather quickly to the station, you can take it just in front of Notre Dame (wave the driver, say hello when you enter and bye when you leav ;-))
Then leave it near the Triumph arch when it turns left in front of the Hotel du Nord. From there you'll walk about 5 min to the train station.
Also you might find some dragons but I can't remember where exactly (maybe at La Carterie 17 rue du Bourg). I'll try to find out.
Since you like markets, here is a video featuring Ira and others fellow Fodorites, in Dijon market
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDSaNQT-Cho and also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_rNv6TwNNk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -