Carry-on luggage lost

Old Jul 8th, 2024, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry-on luggage lost

Looking for advice- like what to do now…

My husband and I are traveling today…We flew out of ATL with carry on luggage only. The Delta flight did not have room to store my husband’s suitcase in the overhead compartment, so the stewardess took the luggage. Once we arrived in NYC, the stewardess gave my husband a ticket to pick up his luggage in baggage claim.

There are 2 problems with this. First, we are only in NYC for 2 hours, as this is our layover (end destination is Shannon, Ireland). So we don’t have time to leave the airport and drive the 20 minutes to baggage claim and then re-enter the airport and go thru security check again, otherwise we are afraid we will miss our last flight. The second problem is that he was given a ticket with someone else’s name and seat number on it. My husband didn’t realize this until after the fact. He really needs his suit case. He wears contact lens. Those are in his suit case. We have a rental car scheduled. I can drive the rental car in Ireland. But on July 12, we have an Aer Lingus flight to Milan, Italy. There, you have to have an International Driver's Licence. He got this thru AAA. I did not b/c he said he wanted to do all the driving. He is literally not going to be able to see.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Our vacation is a 2 week vacation.

What can we do now? Really just need his suitcase. It can’t be far. He has already talked to many Delta people. Getting all different answers. It’s crazy.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 08:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Which NY airport are you at - probably JFK?? Only people working for Delta there will likely have any idea where it is and what to do. Or -- Ask your question on FlyerTalk where someone on the Delta forum will at least know what their procedures are and how to trace your bag.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 10:39 AM

I would look into getting replacement lenses in Dublin.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 12:02 PM

So what was the end result?
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 04:06 PM
J62

I’ve never heard of having to leave the airport and drive 20min to baggage claim. That must be a NYC thing. Hopefully your bag has been located.

it’s a good reminder to make sure all of your essentials remain on your person.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 05:30 PM

International Driver's License is optional AFAIK.

I'm not understanding the situation either.

If I travel carryon I always have a small bag inside with essentials that I can pull out if gate check is required.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 10:50 PM
mjs

I have only had this happen to me on Southwest airlines. Once they lost my bags for 6 hours. I otherwise usually board in one of the first groups so I know I can find room for my carryon. If you contact your optometrist or ophthalmologist they should be able to provide you with the prescription which should be easy to fill if soft contacts in Dublin. Gas perms might take some time to acquire.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb
International Driver's License is optional AFAIK.

I'm not understanding the situation either.

If I travel carryon I always have a small bag inside with essentials that I can pull out if gate check is required.
Actually in Italy an IDP (International Drivers Permit) is required. The rental agency may not even ask for it, but if the driver is in an accident or is stopped for a moving violation, the police can legally ask for it - and there can be a fine if there is no IDP.
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 12:50 PM

I wonder if the OP will ever come back and tell us whether they found their bag before they left for Italy.
Old Jul 14th, 2024, 08:40 AM

I don't understand the drive to baggage claim either, but people really need to learn NOT to put essentials like meds, passport, credit cards, etc in any suitcase to be checked or even a carryon suitcase. Anyone is entitled to a small personal item on any flight I know, that is where such things should be.
Old Jul 14th, 2024, 02:12 PM

Two hours is enough time to go to baggage claim and back through security to the new gate. At least that would be my (safe) assumption.

Am guessing the "drive" would be a ride on one of the carts for people with mobility issues.

Old Jul 14th, 2024, 06:51 PM

I am interested to find out “the rest of the story”.