Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

COULD I CARRY ON A 23"x34" SIZE LUGGAGE ON THE TRAIN IN ITALY LUGGAGE ON THE TRAIN IN ITALY

COULD I CARRY ON A 23"x34" SIZE LUGGAGE ON THE TRAIN IN ITALY LUGGAGE ON THE TRAIN IN ITALY

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:29 AM
lynn

WE WILL TAKE A TRAIN FROM VENICE TO FLORENCE AND ROME. WE REALY NEED TO KNOW IF WE COULD CARRY ON A 23"x34" SIZE LUGGAGE ON THE TRAIN. IF NOT, IS IT SAFE TO CHECK IN? HOW DOES IT WORK? WE ARE TWO ADULT, ONE 4 YEAR OLD CHILD. PLEASE GIVE ANY SUGGESTION. THANK YOU.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
J T Kirk

The true experts will have precise info for you.

In my experience, most trains have a section at the front (or back) of each car for luggage. These sections fill up quickly, particularly during the summer (peak of tourist season).

I have taken some big bags on trains, and I always say that I won't do it next time. You pretty much have to lug that stuff yourself, and with a 4 year old, you're already going to have your hands full.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:39 AM
shhh

I suggest you don't YELL so much.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:46 AM
Jen

Quite apart form italy and trains, are you sure you want to even TAKE something that huge, and can you handle it? I suggest that you pack up this suitcase, carry it around your house for an hour or so, including up and down stairs. I would strongly recommend that you take 2 medium-sized pieces, rather than a huge one.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:48 AM
xxx

It might work if you put your 4 year old IN the suitcase. Then you'll have another hand free.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:54 AM
belinda

In case you haven't figured it out, it's considered bad manners on this message board to use all caps. Just fyi. Okay, we just got home from a trip to Italy and we took the Eurostar from Florence to Rome (also took two overnights and the Chunnel Eurostar, but those don't apply here). You definitely need luggage with wheels - Point One. You also need luggage you can easily lift - Point Two. Too much luggage will be a problem with taxis - Point Three. And if the luggage compartments fill up on the end of the car you are riding in, you will need to lift the luggage up onto the rack above your seat (which isn't very big) - Point Four. And something too terribly big isn't going to fit in the luggage comparments at the end of the car - Point Five. That's all the points I have. Hope I made my point. We traveled with 24" rolling bags from Samsonite or somebody and a small carry on type bag. One set per person. We wouldn't have even taken that much, but we were gone for two weeks and had to pack for two different climates. The 24" rolling bag was definitely as big as I would go.

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:44 AM
Laura

My husband and I are getting ready to leave for our trip- had planned on each taking a small suitcase with wheels and one carry-on bag. However, we plan to buy a leather coat, shoes, and other items along the way... so take larger suitcases and pack them half full- or take the small suitcase with expandable duffel bag inside, and start filling up the bag along the way (bag doesn't have wheels so that seems awkward too)? Any advice? Does anyone recommend shipping purchases home instead?

Jun 21st, 2002, 01:21 PM
belinda

In Florence we boxed up a purchase and had our hotel mail it to us. Left money to cover shipping etc. It arrived, but a little worse for the wear. I did notice that across the Arno in Florence there was a Mailboxes, Etc or some such outfit. It was on a street facing the river. That might be a good option.

Jun 21st, 2002, 01:48 PM
Sunny

I have traveled on trains throughout Europe with giant 29" luggage, both single & with husband. As long as you can pull it (wheels are essential); carry it if you have to; (We were on the wrong platform once with minutes to spare,& the only way over was up 20 or so stairs up & another 20 stairs down. I thought I would expire right there on the spot.); and be able to lift it overhead if necessary, bring it. I am going again in August & will probably pack a 29" bag again, as well as a 22" carryon. Am I nuts? Probably, but that's besides the point.

Jun 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM
elvira

You could take on a steamer trunk if you wanted - just how much work, stress, and aggravation you want to get involved in this will determine if that's the route you want to go.

If you want the least amount of work, stress and aggravation, take two smaller suitcases (two 22" rollaboards will actually give you more room than the one large suitcase). Belinda pointed out a situation that occurs not infrequently - the luggage storage at the end of the car is full. The only space left is either in the overhead or between the seats (where a face forward and face backward seat meet) or under your feet. Small suitcases fit better.

You can check suitcases for rail shipment - but the suitcase may not go on the same train as you (there are trains that carry just packages, suitcases, etc.) and you'll arrive to find your suitcase won't for several hours.

Laura - you can send your purchases ahead on the train (see above) to your last destination (as long as you have either a valid railpass or a ticket to that destination) and pick them up there; there are collapsible bags with wheels (I have a leopard print one that works quite well - if I check the bag on my flight home, I duct-tape the wheels against the bag so they don't get banged up); bring disposable clothing so you throw away outfits as you travel, leaving room for the cool new stuff.

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:01 PM
jon

Lynn,

My suggestion is to be practical. You will be holding your child, which means you can carry your handbag and a tote/backpack at the most.

That leaves your husband with the luggage for all 3 of you. Take the one big case, so long as it has wheels, and a fold up duffel with a shoulder strap that will fit ontop of the 1 large luggage so it can be rolled, or slung on his shoulder. That's it. You do not want to look like a target for theft in any public place, and lugging too much makes you vulnerable. Be smart and pack lightly, and color coordinate your outfits so they can be interchangeable; ditto for hubby and child.

I've been on the Eurostar where the luggage just gets piled up at the end of the aisles by the luggage racks b/c the racks are full. When you reserve your train seats, ask for ones near the end of the nonsmoking car so you can keep an eye on your luggage.

Jon

Jon