Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Haven't flown since 9/11. Am flying this weekend. Do they go through your carry-on luggage, purse, etc.? Do they go through your checked luggage? What else do I need to know that's different?

Search

Haven't flown since 9/11. Am flying this weekend. Do they go through your carry-on luggage, purse, etc.? Do they go through your checked luggage? What else do I need to know that's different?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Nancy

Any tips for first time flyer since 9/11? Wanted to do carry-on. Is checked luggage simpler? Do they go through everything?

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Donna F

I usually take both a carry-on and a bag to check. The last time I flew which was in May, ball point pens were allowed. I've read that open containers are not so don't have an open bottle of water with you or anything else that is open. Expect to be one of the random people who are asked to step aside for a more thorough check. The bottom of my shoes were checked, I was asked to turn my belt buckle over. It's no big deal. I have had my carry-on checked before 9/11. Call your airline for a list of things you should not have in your purse or carryon. Double check your pockets. Don't laugh, but my sister works in shipping and routinely has a box cutter in her pocket. A few years ago my carryon was a pie basket with an apple pie from Gram in it. I'm not sure if that would be allowed now.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Anita

You can never tell if you will get checked or not.They can check any luggage you bring so carryon is no less likely to be searched. If you call the airline they can pretty much clue you in as to what's ok. Just allow plenty of time & be patient if you get searched. They are only trying to make things safer.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Gretchen

Put anything "pointy" in your checked baggage which they do not "go through".Carry your camera and film in your carryon ONLY.
You are allowed one carryon and a purse if you choose to have a "large" carryon. If it is a rollaboard be prepared to have it closely inspected at the first security check and probably again before boarding.
Carry your picture ID in your pocket--you will need it over and over. I am going to get a plastic pouch to hang around my neck to carry mine.
You may be chosen randomly at the gate for a check. It is normal.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:15 AM
cindy

I've found the best thing to do is allow lots and lots of time for security checks. Having said that, sometimes things move very quickly and you find yourself with time on your hands. Best thing to do is try not to get too irritated either way - sometimes this can be a bit of a challenge! They will randomly look at stuff, they will randomly disallow stuff, and there isn't a whole lot of consistency, but in general I feel fairly safe with the extra precautions.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Christie

For the most up-to-date list of what is allowed in carryons and what is not, and the policies about drink containers in the concourse, go to www.tsa.gov

Ballpoint pens have always been allowed.
The open container policy was just updated, too.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:28 AM
jabez

I fly TOO MUCH so many I can help some. It first depends on what airports and what time/day you are leaving. If you go on a Tues. at 11am (from most airports) , there is rarely long lines. If you leave at 8am on a Mon.,expect much longer lines.
Since you do not travel much,I recommend checking most bags (curbside only-crazy to wait for inside lines). If you carry-on is opened,it should add no more than a couple minutes. As someone mentioned,check sharp objects (nail files,scissors,etc.). Overall,it is more of a hassle for those of us who fly 40+ times each year becayse we tend to see the flaws in the system too often. (Plus we tend to be too much in a hurry). If travelling for vacation,give yourself a couple hours and you should be fine in any airport in America. I might be able to help more with more info.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Grammy

When taking my 11 yr old grandson to Newark Airport for his flight somewhere, I had to take him to his gate, so I also had to go through the security.
Although I only carried a purse, they did everything with me that they did the other passengers. The man in front of me with his laptop was searched, the old lady next to us had to take off her shoes.
Because of the time and anxiety this causes, I will fly from now on with No carry-ons, just check a bag and carry a purse. The less you have to search, the less aggravationn, IMHO.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Jayelle

Before 9/11 I never used to set off the metal detectors. After 9/11, I've set the detector off every time I've passed through, so I'm assuming that they are set to be much more sensitive now. My suggestion to you is to try to take off anything and everything that you may be wearing that contains metal (e.g., watches, bracelets, necklaces, change in your pockets, etc.). Also avoiding shoes with any sort of metal buckle or boots with zippers may help you avoid having to have your shoes x-rayed. It gets tiresome having to be wanded, patted down, and having your shoes x-rayed every time through, which is what has been happening to me. However, its just the price of flying nowadays I suppose.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:37 AM
xxx

Geez! You can take a bottle of water!!!!
They may ask you to take a sip at the check point.
I travel just about every week and have no problems.
I carry with tweezers and nail clippers, too.
The only thing they took from me was a mini-can of spray starch. They said it was combustable.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Dolores

Leave your vibrator at home.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:54 AM
yyy

The key point is not to set off the alarm when you go through security so make sure all metal objects are in your carry-on bag when it goes through the x-ray machine. If you have a large metal belt buckle, take that off too.

As for open containers, they are no longer allowed to make you drink from them (see recent news articles about the woman and her breast milk) but they will not let you take an open container that can't be closed (i.e. no open cans of Coke).

While xxx has been fortunate in not having any of his/her pointy stuff taken, I have seen many others have their stuff confiscated. (I even read about a US Army Ranger who had a very small scissors taken away from him even though he need them because his jaw was wired shut due to an a gun shot wound he received in Afganistan. If they aren't trusting him, don't expect them to trust you.)

Odds are you won't be searched. I've traveled a dozen times since 9/11 and have only been "searched" a couple of times. At most, they opened my bag, moved a few things, and closed it up. I've heard the horror stories about everything being taken out but I haven't seen it.

One last thing, a young boy was thoroughly searched and kept from his originally scheduled flight (along with his mother) because he had a GI Joe doll with a small, fake, plastic gun. Security went nuts over it even announcing "gun" as if they had come across something dangerous. The security system isn't rational so don't take anything that can remotely be thought of as a weapon, fake or real. While the odds of you being caught with it may be small (40% of real guns got thru LAX in a test a few months ago), the inconvenience of being caught is significant.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Frank

All bags are subject to search at any time. That is kind of good as you may not know if yours is going to be searched or not....and neither does any potential criminals!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Topper

ttt

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Jen

Would someone be able to tell me where I can find something suitable and comfortable to hold my ID around my neck. My upcoming vacation will have me at nine airports. This would be ever so convenient. Thanks in advance to any ideas. I'm not very creative to design my own.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:34 PM
r-travels

ID Holder:

Stop in major office supply stores. Often you can find vinyl holders for those "My name is xxx" badges often used for meetings and conventions. Some have a "lanyard" to go around the neck, some have a small spring clip that can be clipped to lapel.

I've been using the same one my Colonial Williamsburg pass is in, so that I can stop fumbling with my wallet getting ID out. It really helps.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Topper

ttt