Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Are United "Business" and Air Canada "Executive First" the same?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m using United FF miles to go “Business” class from Rome to Toronto on Air Canada. The United reservation uses the term “Business.” However, from the AC website, they don’t have “Business” class. They have “Executive First”, “Executive” (but that’s within North America only) and then “Economy”.

I’m concluding that the UA “Business” = AC “Executive First”, but I’m not sure, as it’s more like United’s First, not Business. I called AC and they were vague. Anyone ever use UA miles on Air Canada and run into this?

Many thanks...
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM

For AC:

"Executive First" = international business class

"Executive" = domestic first class
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM

Executive First is just a brand name. It is considered a business class cabin. By all accounts the new seats that AC has are very nice, and I would think it should be a great flight.

Other silly names like this would be BA's Club World, Continental's BusinessFirst, Delta's BusinessElite, Northwest's World Business Class, and USAir's Envoy Class. Why they can't just call them First and Business is beyond me.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM

travelgourmet -
part of the reason the various airlines came up with these names is because the product is neither business nor first, but something in between. Also, a very important reason is that this product is coded as a business class fare, which is often allowed under corporate travel policies that prohibit first class on the company dime.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM

<i><b>...part of the reason the various airlines came up with these names is because the product is neither business nor first, but something in between.</b></i>

Seamus, that is exactly what Continental, Delta, Northwest, and USAirways want you to believe. In fact, however, each one of those products are inferior to most airlines' business class: worse seats, worse lounges, worse in-flight meals, and worse service in the air and on the ground.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM

&quot;By all accounts the new seats that AC has are very nice ...&quot;

AC's new &quot;Executive First&quot; (yes, business class) seats are very nice indeed. I've had the pleasure on three trans-Atlantic legs. You can take a tour of the new seats here:

www.aircanada.com/en/news/071128.html?src=hp_wn

Just a word of caution for the OP: AC uses a 767-300 on their Rome to Toronto flights. About half of those aircraft are updated with the new interiors, according to AC's website. If you get one, you'll be happy. If not ... be prepared for a very tired-looking interior.

You didn't mention when your flight is. If soon, I suspect you're more likely to see an old interior on that route. However, as time goes by, all of the 767-300s will be made over.

Anselm
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM

&quot;part of the reason the various airlines came up with these names is because the product is neither business nor first, but something in between.&quot;

Having flown genuine international first class, I don't think any of the airlines I mentioned even approximate first class. I feel it is nothing more than marketing. Of course, I also don't think first class is worth paying for, but it doesn't mean it isn't different.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM

rizzuto - can't comment on the other airlines you mention because I am a CO loyalist, but CO's BF is definitely better than any other business class I have flown.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM

&quot;CO's BF is definitely better than any other business class I have flown.&quot;

I think you need to get out more.

Not that CO is that bad, but it isn't that special, either.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

AnselmAdorne, I'll be departing Rome on April 16, so maybe I won't get the new interior. No doubt, it's the new interior on their website.

As always, thanks everyone for the feedback.