Air Canada/Lufthansa/Egypt Air

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Egypt and used all 3 carriers.

We took an Air Canada flight from Toronto to Frankfurt. What a mistake using AC. I am 6'3 and need all the leg room I can get. While this plane may have been a step above Air Transat or Skyservice they exacerbated the leg room problem by having footrests. No matter if it was up or down I couldn't stretch my legs. Geez people, this is a 7.5 hour flight. For the dollars I had hoped for some semblance of comfort.

We used Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Cairo. What a difference. Leather seats, a little more leg room, good food, real cutlery and service oriented attendants. Almost brightened a 4 hour flights.

We used Egypt Air for flights between Cairo and Luxor, and Aswan and Abu Simbel. Again, great service. Clean upholstery. Adequate leg room.

Unfortunately we used Air Canada for our return flight. Fortunately I was able to convince the check-in counter at Frankfurt, the day before we flew (apparently this is a no no) , to give me a bulk-head seat. However it was like pulling teeth. This time though we went through Montreal. When the call came for our AC flight to Ottawa we proceeded OUTSIDE across the tarmack in -20 degrees, Again in Ottawa we left the plane, crossed the tarmac and into the terminal by some back door.

Absolutely rediculous that Canada's national airline is so poor. I propose a challenge.

At least one 6 foot tall CEO from every major airline be put on a A330. They must sit in economy, no bulk-head or exit row seat either.

They have to each take a short domestic flight to a major 'hub' airport for another flight of at least 4 hours duration. Upon their return they are then they to take an overseas flight of at least 7 hours. Same conditions apply.

Upon the conclusion of these flights they are to meet to discuss their comfort levels.

Perhaps this is the only way that we the consumer will get the point across....we want to be comfortable.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM

I thoroughly agree with you about having the CEO's and "beancounters" at every airline sit in these seats-there is never any way to get comfortable on such close seating. I would like to suggest that next time you use the new nonstop to Cairo from JFK on Delta. Its supposed to start in June.Nonstops always seem so much easier to me?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Cairo is a place that my daughter really really wants to go. Did you feel completely safe while traveling there? Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Yes I did feel safe but I was on a tour with Insight Vacations. I have posted a trip report on the Middle East/Africa forum.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM

<i>Cairo is a place that my daughter really really wants to go. Did you feel completely safe while traveling there? &lt;\i&gt;</i>
Depends.... How old is she (if I may ask...), and is she traveling alone?... I know I WOULDN'T (but my daughter is in her early 20s...), unless, as Dave suggested, it's an organized tour, and by a reputable company....
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:27 AM

My daughter went to Cairo when she was traveling post-semester in Italy. It made me very nervous when she said she was going, but she went to visit a friend who was also studying abroad, in Cairo. And since the friend had family there, with whom they spent time, I guess I relaxed a bit. As a matter of fact she celebrated her 21st birthday in Cairo. It did give me concerns, tho, especially when she said her flight from Athens would get her to Cairo at 2 am - I persuaded her to take another flight, one that arrived mid-day. She had a great time in Cairo and also in Alexandria.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM

I have no idea how this thread got so off-topic, but you have NOTHING to fear letting your daughter go to Cairo. Egyptians are among the most gracious and kind hosts you will ever encounter. If you would feel comfortable letting them travel anywhere in Europe, I see no problem in Cairo.

The only genuinely dangerous thing in Cairo is likely to be crossing the street, as traffic rules are simply not followed.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:32 PM

Sorry gang that I asked if things were safe and off topic.....mi scuzi!!It as just an afterthought to ask as I was curious?
On another note-the daughter is 23,has traveled extensively besides studying abroad in Sicily and traveling in Tunisia during her springbreak there but I would either travel with her or a friend.
Thanks!