Search

The North Coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The North Coast

Hi Guys
I am just wondering how many of you guys have visited our North Coast. (Unhlanga to Belito Bay) It truly is one of South Africa's most beautiful coastlines and the reason I am asking is because I just returned from Cape Town after looking at property to buy and I realised that I belong on the North Coast. Cape Town is majestic and beautiful but it is not all we have.
I look forward to the posts.
Mark
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Mark
Truly god's country trust me. Spelling should be Balitto though...
Some exciting developments in Durban too as they prepare for 2010 Soccer world cup (road, infrastructure etc)and also with the whole waterfornt development happening at the moment at the harbour mouth - should rival CPT in the not too distant future
Hilton
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Wild coast, somwhere between Coffee Bay and Umgazana mouth gets my vote.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

mkhonzo
Thats called the South Coast and is also pretty cool.
Mark
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM

so it may, but old habits die hard, as a youngster it was always known to me as the wild coast and that it shallremain.

The south coast was in my day between durban and port shepstone.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Actually the spelling of Ballito is neither Belito nor Balitto. And whatever the spelling, I've never heard of "Ballito Bay". Although in that area there's Thompson's Bay, Clark Bay, Salmon Bay.

But I agree, the KZN North Coast is great. When not over-run by inland visitors at peak holiday times. Although I suppose one could also say that about Cape Town.

I still hanker after the almost totally underdeveloped and unused beaches that we knew during our varsity years, us being "in the know". As opposed to the generally better known and more populated holiday spots on the South coast. Nevertheless, I thought of trying to invest in the Ballito area ten years ago, and finally did that last year (Chaka's Rock). Better late than never!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:57 PM

At the risk of being pedantic, let me hasten to backtrack on one thing, before I get corrected. Yes, there are lots of references to "Ballito Bay", so I must have seen or heard it called that many times. But not on any map I've seen, because it's a misnomer. There are several "bays"/beaches on the Ballito coastline, such as those I named.

What's much more important is that I'm looking forward to getting down there for a week next month! Chill-out time!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM

BTW (and this time I'm more certain of my aged memory), the only "North Coast" or "South Coast" I've never ever heard of relating to the S.A. coastline, is that for KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).

I agree with mkhonzo. Coffee Bay etc. has always been the Wild Coast. And I think always will be. Google "south coast" using the S.A. Google (co.za) and you'll see that many sites don't even bother to add the KZN moniker. It's a given.