Banana Belt on Oregon Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this message under "Oregon" with no response so am re-posting under "General Interest". Apologies for duplication.....
We are looking for a vacation house rental for a week beginning May either on the North California or Southern Oregon coast. The Oregon rentals seems to be priced more to our budget but is there really a "sunshine or banana belt" along the Oregon coast as some advertise? Is Brookings or Port Orford a generally good vacation area or is Gold Beach better (weather wise, scenery). We've driven the Oregon and California coast but never spent more than one night at any one location. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM

The season on the Oregon coast begins July 4. If you're looking for good weather in May, I think you'd be better of in the Carolinas.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Brookings is generally about 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the coast. The North coast is more rugged and IMO more beautiful than the south coast. Cape Arago in Charleston (Coos Bay) is my favorite part of the coast for scenery but the towns themselves are better farther North. Brookings has some nice beaches but it just lacks the wow factor that you get as you go north. You can also take Jet Boat excursions up the Rogue River from Gold Beach which is great. Best wishes.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:32 AM

I'd often heard that Brookings was in a banana belt, too. So I wonder why weather sites show it with pretty much the same climate as the rest of the south coast...

I think there may places with micro-climates along the south Oregon coast where the weather is indeed better than surrounding areas. Regardless, if you're planning this for May, as happytrails suggests, North Carolina would be a better bet weatherwise.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input. Since we're tied to the May date, Brookings area sounds OK. Have been to Crater Lake and Bend (loved Bend area). Somewhat familiar with the Redwoods, but who can ever have enough experience with Redwoods? We have to return to Central CA in one day after our week on the coast so we'll look in Brookings. Thank you.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM

have you looked at vrbo.com? I have been looking and there are some all along that route.