Tanzania: Bear Foot Expeditions is the best

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a US citizen who just finished a safari in Tanzania with Bear Foot, with Justin Moshe as my guide. I can honestly say that if you use a different company, you aren't getting the best experience you can have. My experience with Justin was perfect, and heads-and-shoulders above those of the other tour groups I saw along the way. To start with, Justin is friendly and accommodating, determined to make your safari perfect. He combines this with an extraordinarily broad knowledge about the history, people, landscape and animal life of Tanzania. There was not a question I could ask about any of those topics that Justin couldn’t answer immediately and in great depth. He explained that Masaai culture, the government structure in the area, the conservation efforts and the history both before and after colonization. He was able to succinctly and clearly explain the different geological and environmental factors at work in each of the 5 or 6 areas we visited that caused the differing terrains and animal populations. Inside each park, he spotted animals from great distances before negotiating his way closer so that I would have a perfect shot. Somehow, whether other trucks were there or not, we always ended up in the best place. He was able to identify any animal pointed out, and give interesting details about their behavior, migration, differences between the sexes, mating habits and nesting. His knowledge of the paths in the parks was also unsurpassed; we would wind our way around for hours, passing by other groups, and delved deep into the smaller or more distant paths and areas. Justin’s long experience allows him to unhesitatingly go everywhere in the parks, wherever he thinks the animals will be. And his instincts are always right. Every single day, we would wake up and see two or three new animals in the morning, then go to a different area in the afternoon and see different animals. I have dozens of amazing shots from the trip, and I’m a terrible photographer. All of these are due to Justin consistently finding the animals, close to the road, and then maneuvering to just the right spot for a perfect picture. I literally just had to point the camera and push the button. His vehicle was well-maintained, comfortable and well-adapted to safari with an openable roof creating a built-in sunshade. Justin is also an expert driver on the roads and paths within the parks. Several times there was heavy rain, but although the road would turn to mud and often begin to flood, Justin never lost his cool or cheerful outlook. We never got stuck and never had to wait for the weather to pass; Justin was able to maneuver the truck and keep us moving regardless. The accommodations were excellent all throughout the tour, and Justin was able to provide the range of experiences that I was looking for, from nice hotels and some comfortable lodges to a few days of camping. For mobile camping, Justin secured a prime camping area, away from other groups and with two stone buildings nearby for eating breakfast and dinner. Justin’s crew set up a well-maintained canvas tent, a comfortable cot and a chair out front for me, as well as a portable shower and toilet. The food prepared by Justin’s chef was delicious and plentiful, with various versions of local foods. At no point did I feel rushed or like a visit to an area was cut short. All in all, the safari in Tanzania was a daily series of amazing scenes, and Justin was a cheerful, pleasant, confident conductor all along the way. Again, I feel strongly that if you are traveling to or sending clients to Tanzania and do not use Justin and his company, you are deprived of the best possible experience. I am unlikely to forget a minute of this trip and months later now, still find myself involuntarily recalling one amazing scene or another.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 03:43 AM

That's almost too good to believe.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 05:11 AM

I believe this same post may have been deleted at TA.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 08:37 AM

One and only post by AWaldo and seems only joined Fodor's for imparting above. Fishy!
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Where's Waldo coming from?
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

I would have said it was too good to be true as well, before I went on the trip. I assure you, Justin is real and as good as described. I was on R&R with a tight timeline & he made it happen.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 07:09 PM

I find nothing on line for "Bear Foot Expeditions". No internet presence? This may be all made up?

regards - tom
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 04:02 AM

Tom, if you Google 'bearfoot tanzania' you'll see them. I didn't put their url, not wanting to do advertising for them.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 05:22 AM

I'd use them if I could get over the "bear" foot part. I think it should be bare foot.

Canada - where bears live.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

The site is: http://www.bearfootexpeditions.com/

Funnily enough, the name was originally supposed to be Bare Foot, and there's a good story as to how it ended up Bear. You'll have to ask Justin how it happened.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.