Moving to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Ephiz

Moving to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Hello guys,

I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!

-Ephiz

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Salena

Haven't been there yet. Leaving tomorrow, will be there July 1st - 5th. Check out www.intotanzania.com.

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Ephiz Dar is both funny, crazy, and hectic too depending on how you live with it.It is hectic because of the traffic jams crazy and funny due to different events and funny things to do out there people here are kind and charming. but if you wish to have city excursions and Zanzibar tour just email me through [email protected]
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 06:24 AM

Suggest you post this also on the Trip Advisor site. A number of people there should have info for you.

Go to: www.tripadvisor.com/forums
Select Africa, then scroll down to select Tanzania
Look for "Ask a Question" and post the above there; am sure you'll get replies.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 08:17 AM

The original post was made in 2002!