Nairobi plus 3 extra days.

Feb 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Nairobi plus 3 extra days.

Just got opportunity to go to Nairobi for 2 day meeting mid-March. Will have three full days after to explore. Never been on safari, but would really love to go. What is best use of my very limited time? Rift Valley?? Any Nairobi travel agents you would recomment?
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Go out to the Masai Mara. You will find all of the Big-5 here. Can be done by road (5-6/hr drive each way on some terrible roads) with own vehicle/guide; or flights (1/hr each way) using vehicle/guides of the lodge/camp at which you stay.

Day 1 - Drive or Fly to Masai Mara; game drives - o/n
Day 2 - MM; game drives, visit Masai Manyatta; option for hot-air balloon safari (expensive) - o/n
Day 3 - Drive or Fly to Nairobi; day-room; transfer to NBO airport for homebound flight.

Feb 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you sandi. Sounds great! Will have three days plus the day we take night flight back to UK. Is Little Governors' Camp still big favorite? Three nights too little or too much in one place under these circumstances? I doubt I will ever get back.
Feb 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM

I'd echo Sandi and go to the Mara.

Given that occupancy rates are down in general, you might get lucky and get good rates for Governor's as well as less fellow guests.

It's location for wildlife is just fabulous.

I've just posted on another thread, for our trip in Aug/Sep we stayed at a camp called Serian, in a conservancy adjacent to the Reserve. The advantage of this is a) less fellow tourist vehicles, b) ability to go off-road and c) the ability to do night drives/ walks. You can still go into the Reserve for game drives too, it's about 30-40 minutes drive from the camp, less if you don't stop for game viewing on the way. The other reason I like Serian is that they own/ run a small mobile camp in the very heart of the Reserve and when you book into the main camp, you have the choice to spend as many of your booked nights in the mobile camp instead, as you like. The accommodation is more rustic but is charming and perfectly comfortable, and the location is absolutely unbelievable.

Feb 11th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Elaine -

Just add another day to the Mara, which really deserves 2/nights (3/days) anyways.

Would be too hectic to try to include another stop, besides you'll find all the game you could imagine in the Mara.

Little Governor's is good; also Serian as Kavey mentions; many others and since you're not visiting during the Migration, doesn't matter much whether you're in the Reserve proper or the adjacent private group ranches where you can do walks and night drives. There are "special" prices at a number of Kenyan properties now, so do ask.
Feb 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Spend them all in the Mara--Little Governor's, which I really liked, or some other place.

Your meeting organizers might have agent recommendations and deals for participants who attend the meeting. I'd check that first.
Feb 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I support andi's recommendations.

Governors Game report for Jan (thread) informed they have got a cheetah with / (SEVEN!) cubs in the vicinity.
When you stay within the reserve which is a bonus in view to Governors you have it all and don't need to pay conservancy fees (while staying in one of them surrounding the reserve)plus reserve fees if you want to visit the mara itself.

Governors guarantees a "window seat" an does 3 game drives/day.

If you are into night drives and game walks you might consider www.kicheche.com for more moderate but still luxurious camps (food is not too fancy) but grants unlimited game drives.
Rate is rack 330 plus fees but "sole use of vehicle" is only 205 which is a snap!

Or Rekero which has stunning accommodation and it's also within the reserve (sandi you see I have got it ;-) )

The choice is yours ;-)

SV
Feb 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Governors it will be for 3 nights and then the last day in Nairobi will be final sightseeing before the midnight flight back to London. Very exciting. Yes, the conference organizers will help organize the three day Masai Mara time. But, I will have the two days of the conference to do my own sightseeing while others work. Any recommendations for Nairobi guides, etc? I bought my flight today and good that I did since there is a 28 day fare rule. Saved a good bit but still very high fare. Well, I think this is my one time to Nairobi.
Feb 12th, 2009, 02:39 AM

Elainee
We always request one guy who works for Kenatco Taxis (semi-governmental Taxi comp) for all our taxi rides and Nairobi "adventures"

You might contact him on

[email protected]

His name is Carlos Williams. Very reliable guy.

SV
Feb 12th, 2009, 02:39 AM

OOps there is a typo....
should be

[email protected]

SV
Feb 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Spassvoget...thanks! I always feel better when I use someone who has been recommended.
Feb 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Kennedy gets great reviews:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35071909
Feb 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM

We booked Kennedy for our free day in Nairobi, based on recommendations here at Fodors. Couldn't have been happier.