Search

Night Game Drives in kenya

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Game Drives in kenya

After a wonderful visit to Tanzania last year, we are planning a Kenya safari for August 2008. Thanks to several postings on this forum, we are thinking of 2 nights in Samburu, one night in Nakuru and 4 nights in the Mara. My question is: can we do night game drives in either Samburu or the Mara? If so, would you recommend it?
Thanks
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
sandi

Night game drives can be done at just about any camp/lodge that isn't located on National Park/Reserve lands. So in the Masai Mara, those outside of the Mara Triangle.

There are conflicting answers as to whether these are "worth it." Sometimes it is, other times, not. Like daytime viewing, there's no guarantee as to game that will be spotted. But, you just never know.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Within the Mara reserve boundaries, the Serena also offers night game drives. I believe they received permission to do so sometime last year.

While night drives can be done outside of the reserve, not every camp or lodge offers these, so I'd inquire specifically. Neither of the two camps I've stayed at outside the Mara offered night drives.

At Samburu, the only camp located outside of reserve boundaries is Bedouin.

Yes, I highly recommend it as I've seen species on night drives that I've never seen or only very seldomly seen during the day. But as sandi said, it's a matter of luck and no guarantees of what you'll see on any particular night.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM

At least a few night drives are a good addition to any itinerary. At best you see nocturnal animals. At worst, you see very little and need to bundle up. Unless you are giving up good pm game viewing at camp, I see no downside to going on the drive, other than extra cost maybe. Most camps just include the night drive as part of the normal afternoon activity with no extra charge. It's all part of the cost per night.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sandi, Patty and Atravelynn,

I will add one night at Sweetwaters tented camp on the way to Samburu and do a night game drive there. I will also look into one night drive during the four nights at Mara Serena.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:02 AM
sandi

Believe the Serena is charging $80/person for their night game drives. Be aware and not surprised!

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM
cbe7

At the serena? so, night drives permitted inside the mara now?

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:09 AM

As far as I know, only from the Serena.