Mara: comparing Governors, Gov's Il Moran, and Bateleur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the great knowledge and help of Fodorites, I’m looking at 3 possible places in the Mara to spend 3-5 nights next Aug:

<b>Bateleur at Kichwa Tembo(CC Africa)
Governor’s Camp
Governor’s Il Moran</b>

I’m sure that each would be wonderful, but I’d appreciate any comments that folks with experience at any of these locations could add – especially in therms of comparing locations (Bateleur vs Governors – they look close on a map, but maps can be deceiving), the safari vehicles used at the camps, and the quality of the guides.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too, me too. Interested in comments on these camps and ALSO on Little Governor's Camp.
regards - tom
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM
sandi

Bateleur is the most expensive, located outside the immediate Mara on private conservation land, so night drives available. Also, Bateleur doesn't charge a single supplement (but check as they seem to be adding this at some of their camps). Note: They may have already added another few tents/cabins to the 9 already there.

Of the Governor's Camps, all located inside the Mara, so no night game drives. Il Moran is their more expensive tented camp and in the range of Bateleur. Il Moran does charge a single supplement, so compare prices with what Bateleur offers.

If night game drives important - some like these, others don't - you may want to consider Bateleur, though there are other camps at way less money outside on private lands you can consider.

But, if these are your only choices, I'd go for Il Moran - small, intimate, good position and truly under canvas. The guides at both Bateleur and Il Moran will be comparable; Bateleur does use open vehicles and so too Il Moran.

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM
santharamhari

I've stayed at Kichwa Batleur in 2001 and both Governors and Little Governors in 2002. (i had to switch between these two camps due to tight bookings). Kichwa is far superior accomodations. It is not very far from Governors. Yes, you can do a night drive, but....nothing spectacular. Little Governors has better location/setting among all Governors camps.

Guiding is good at both.

Hari

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM
santharamhari

Have you considered serian? www.serian.net

Couple of good reviews on this forum........do a search and chk it out!!!

Hari