Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at either the Lion Porini or Sala's Camps ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at either the Porini Lion's Camp or the Sala's Camp in the Masai Mara ? We are planning a trip there in August 2008 to try to catch the Great Migration and would like to find out : (1) whether these two camps are good locations to be for the action? (2) are these considered high-end accomodations ? Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM

I never heard of either of these camps but we stayed at the Mara Safari Club. What a great camp! The tents were awesome and the rangers were the best. We saw the Big 5 about 10 times over. We saw leopards 3 times in one day! The tents at this camp are right on the Mara River and are full of Hippos. We went to sleep at night listening to them. We had hot water bottles in our bed every night and were woken up for the game drives with hot chocolate delivered to our tent. It was the best!
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 03:30 AM

Porini Lion is outside the Mara Triangle, immediately north of the border (on private group ranch), so good for night game drives; small camp in the $400-$500/person/nt range.

Sala's Camp is located inside the Greater Mara Reserve on the southern border with Tanzania, near the Sand River; it's the farthest south camp. A Seasonal camp, closed during the two rainy seasons. Also in the same person price range.

The migration can be anywhere inside or outside the Mara; often in the Triangle area where crossings occur, but large herds move in all directions and not all at the time time or destination.

If I had a choice for remote - it would be Sala. If, closer to the action and night game drives, than Porini Lion. Don't confuse this camp with Porini Mara which isn't the same, rather farther north from the park boundary; also on private group ranch.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 05:51 AM

When in August is your trip?

In 2007, the first of the Serengeti herds reached the southern Talek River area around Aug 5.

Therefore based on history Sala's Camp is in a great position for August.

I stayed at Sala's. My pics here: http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/Salascamp.htm

I visited PL a few times. I think this area is at its best a bit later in the migration season. Pics: http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/porinilion.htm

See the map here: http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mar...a2007Nov20.jpg

Yes, both can be considered high-end.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 04:07 PM

climbhighsleeplow

I appreciate your input on Porini Lion.

How would you rate Porini Lion in relation to the other Mara camps within the same price range?

Would you say it is one of the better ones in it's price range? or one of the worst quality camps within it's range?

Would you recommend it?
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the extremely valuable advice. We will be travelling from 9 Aug till 19 Aug 2008 with the last 3 Days (16,17,18 Aug) in the Mara. Just trying to decide whether it makes sense to spend all the time at Sala's Camp (since that is in the Mara and seems closer to the migration) or do both Sala and Porini Lion. We also have a quote for Kicheche Camp. Wonder if anyone has any idea what this camp is like ? We are finally getting a little closer to final itinerary with all your help. Thanks a lot !
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:46 AM

Simbakubwa

During my last visit Porini Lion still had 2 styles of tents on the same property - cheaper ones and the standard ones. Not sure if they will continue to offer both.

Anyway, I prefer not to comment on/compare camps/lodges on public forums.

Like so many contributors on this forum I am involved in the tourism industry (nowadays the majority of posters maybe?) and I believe agents / outfitters / operators / tour organisers should NOT comment on lodges, camps and competitors as the views are rarely impartial and often unreliable.

A one-night stay is maybe enough to form an personal opinion but not enough to share with the world with such authority as happens here so often.

Even worse, some agents here give authoritive advice about places they have not even seen yet, nor seen at different times of the year!

And then we have those who push only the places/outfitters they have relations with!

Just look what happened to Ardvarktravel.net after they allowed agents to post (with subtle advertising signage tags). IMO it became completely useless as a resource with 95% of posts pushing for-profit agendas.

I will gladly comment on wildlife movements and conditions though! Sorry about this.