Dian Fossey/Karisoke Research Centre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is Dian Fossey's grave/Karisoke Research Centre in relation to where where you start the gorilla treks and/or Kigali?

We're doing the gorilla trek one day and then a visit to Dian Fossey's grave the following day (or if disaster strikes and we don't see the gorillas the first day we'll try standby for permits the next day).

We were thinking of going to her grave on the way back to Kigali and wondering if that's doable.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM

loru-
You meet at the park headquarters at 7am, same place as where the gorilla trekkers meet. From there, you drive a short distance to the sight of the trek at the foot/base of Mt. Bisoke.

The old Karisoke Research Center is in between Bisoke and Karisimbi.
It's a beautiful place, and the graves of Dian, Digit, and all the gorillas are together at the old KRC. Very touching. It's one of my favorite places to visit.

It's not an easy hike, but it's also not the toughest. You can only go in the morning as it's scheduled the same time as the other treks.

Or you can also choose to visit the golden monkeys instead of Dian's grave if you like. It definitely would be a hard decision for me to choose between the two.

When are you going? I'll be in Rwanda 21-27 of January.

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM

When I was there a year ago exactly; you could not track to Dian's grave in the afternoon. You either track gorillas, golden monkies or go to the grave as all trecks leave at the same time in the morning from the ORTPN office.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your replies...we're planning on going in September.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:02 AM

You need about 5 hours and it is done much like the gorilla treks. IMO it is not an easy hike but we heard the gorillas very close during our trek!

It was very muddy at the end of Sept 2007 when I did it. The areas around the old center are completely overgrown with just a few reminders of what once were buildings. It is very swampy there - ankledeep in water during my visit.

I have maps and pics and descriptions here: http://www.go-safari.com/Volcans/ParcFossey.htm