Choosing a camp at Samburu and Masai Mara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We're planning a safari to Kenya next year and have an option of camps in two parks. I would love any feedback you could offer. Thanks.

Three nights at Samburu:
Samburu Intrepids
or
Larsen's Camp ($770 more for 2 of us)

Three nights at Masai Mara:
Kichwa Tembo
or
Bateleur Camp ($3,860 more for 2 of us)
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM

hi kyle

choice you mention is extremly limited. why is that?

for how many nts is the stay in each location?

regarding bateleur: it's fantastic but i doubt it's worthwhile the difference you mention.

div

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi, it's 3 nights in each location. These are the camps that our agent has recommended. If you have thoughts for camps other than these, that would be great information too.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM

<b>Three nights at Masai Mara:
Kichwa Tembo
or
Bateleur Camp ($3,860 more for 2 of us)</b>

We stayed at Kichwa Tembo earlier this year (January). Both of these are CCA properties very close to each other, with access to the same areas for game viewing, but KT has about 40 tents while BC has I think 9 more luxurious tents, almost surely with better service and food.

If this is a special occasion then perhaps the extra $1,200/night makes BC worthwhile, but given that you are basically in the same place doing the same things on game drives most of us would be satisfied with KT.

<b>If you have thoughts for camps other than these, that would be great information too.</b>

We only stayed at two camps in the Mara, KT and Intrepids. I thought Intrepids was much better, both for the quality of the camp and, more important, the quality of the game viewing, but of course this is based on just one short trip and things could be different at other times (5 nights Intrepids, 3 nights KT). KT had a lot more Maasai with cattle running around and this seemed to keep the predators a bit off-stride. For sure we saw more lions, relaxed leopards and more cheetahs near Intrepids. Game viewing was OK at KT but not as good as near Intrepids, at least while we were there.

Bill
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM

There are other options in both reserves.

At Samburu - there's also Elephant Bedroom, but likely to be more expensive than the two being offered. Larsen's though does get excellent reviews.

In the Masai Mara - As mentioned above both KT and Bateleur are CCA properties, though Bateleur now with 18/tents is way way expensive. In the same vicinity at these two camps is Olonana or Governor's (3/camps - Main, Little or Il Moran). To the east you'll find the Intrepid's or higher-end Explorer Camp. There's also Rekero, Naibor, Entim and more....
Also, camps on the adjacent private group ranches where night drives can be done.

As there are too many to mention in the Mara, look at: www.go-safari.com select Kenya, select Masai Mara, check out the map showing the various camps/locations and read the descriptions of each.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM

kyle
massai mara i would book at governors within the reserve which is a bonus! furthermore they do 3 (!) gamedrives a day. based on budget i would go for IL MORAN or little governors.
here you pay only the reserve fee. when you stay in one of the concervancies/councils adjoining the reserve you pay a concervation fee plus the reserve fee when you go into the reserve,

http://www.governorscamp.com/

for more budget concious i would check out www.kicheche.com.
it's just outside of the reserve but the fee is still 75$pppd. the tent are very nice, food is fine and they offer unlimited gamedrives.
they have the mara bush camp and the mara main camp. the bush camp has awesome tents and is very intimate.
if budget allows and you are keen on pfotography you could rent a vehicle for sole use (instead of spending a fortune at bateleur).
kicheche offers excellent value for money!

www.kicheche.com

BTW
what time of year you are planning to go?

div
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I have stayed at Samburu Intrepids and Kichwa Tembo. I loved them both, but have to say that KT is my favorite of all the camps i have ever stayed at in east Africa. I know there are fancier camps, but I absolutely love the &quot;home&quot; feeling and comfortable atmosphere at KT. It topped Kirawira in Serengeti and Samburu Intrepids in my opinion. I specifically requested to stay there when we returned to the Mara this June because I loved it so much!! I also think the game viewing in my experience rivals any I have had in the Crater or Samburu and hands down topped Serengeti for me. This is just my opinion from two trips to the mara, serengeti, and the crater. I am sure others with more trips under their belt will have differing opinions, but wanted to throw my two cents worth in that I think you will be thrilled with KT.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.