Luggage restriction on short flight Ngala Lodge to Exeter Dulini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after 18 months of planning (with quite a bit of Fodorite input) we are off to South Africa 3 weeks from Monday. The vouchers were emailed this a.m., so it really is going to happen; okay, I'll worry about anything. We are doing an old-timers safari, with lots of hand holding and comfy beds. Flying from SFO to Dubai on Emirates, one night in hotel in airport, flying on to JNB the next day. Two nights at the Safari Club to catch up with ourselves, then first stop, 4 nights Ngala Lodge. We were given the option of driving on to Exeter Dulini for next 4 nights, or taking a short flight. Obviously chose the flight -- but see on voucher that luggage restriction is 20kg in soft sided luggage. I remember reading a lot about this in the early days of researching, but of course can find no trace now in the archives.

If this is true, it will severely impact what we were planning on taking. I think I should be more or less fine with my Eagle Creek almost soft sided bag (does have rigid back with wheels & will weigh 50 not 43 lbs. But will also have a small wheeled roll aboard carry-on, needed for night in Dubai as luggage checked straight through to JNB.) But my husband has a ton of camera stuff, carefully packed with foam etc. in his framed carry-on bag, and is planning on taking a larger framed suitcase with his other stuff.

Are we sunk? Don't really want to miss a lot of fun by driving for hours to get to our second stop. (After that it is road and air to a one night stop outside Phinda Vlei -- thanks Tom for suggesting we not waste a lot of money on a very expensive dinner and sleep -- for our last 4 nights.)

In other matters, given the time of year, do I really need to pack a swim suit for the swimming pools and plunges? Thanks as always.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM

You might check about the drive time from Ngala Lodge to Dulini. I've not done exactly that drive but could be less than an hour. Depends/don't know the exact road route required. You don't want a long 3-4 hour drive that causes you to miss either of the game drives that day. Plenty of time now to change it.

About the 20kg, if you knew the charter airline, you could call and ask them. I have flown on charters in those reserves and many times I was only passenger so weight was not an issue.

Swimming, afternoon should be warm enough for it. But water temp?? Depends on you.

regards - tom
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Have just checked SAA and their internal flights are all 20K checked luggage also, so will have to adjust down accordingly. it's just the soft sided luggage issue now -- and weight of carry-on which must be less than 18lb. Tom, wouldn't we be missing one game drive anyway, even if we did fly?
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Soft sided, yep, heard that and used to do that but I was the only one!!! So no more.

Missing game drive for camp transfer - hope not. Every time I have transferred between camps in the Timbavati and Sabi Sand reserves it goes like this - Do 6am morning game drive, back for 9:30 am breakfast. Check out of camp about 11 am. Catch charter at reserve airstrip about 12pm. Arrive at other reserve airstrip, met by camp ranger, check in, lunch about 1:30pm. Game drive about 4pm. Should be able to do this within or between Timabavti and Sabi Sand reserves.

regards - tom
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 04:42 AM

Maybe some of the info here will help:

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...sabi-sands.cfm
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 05:27 AM

First of all, please take less stuff. You'll be happier that way. The safari lodges you're going to all offer free, same-day laundry service. Compared to travel to Europe or Asia, you need 30-40% of the clothes that you'd take for the same length of trip.

The land trip from Ngala Safari Lodge to Dulini would take 2+ hours -- Ngala Safari takes much more time to reach than Ngala Tented. So flying isn't a bad option. However, if for any reason the plane isn't able to accommodate your luggage, I am certain that andBeyond (which operates both Ngala and Dulini) will arrange for the luggage to be transported via land shuttle.

Don
Owner ... Don Topaz Travel
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Aah, Tom, thanks for the clues on luggage & game drives. Don, I have only 3 changes of clothes as suggested -- one on, one in laundry and one spare. Crazy or not, I am taking my pillow; learned long ago that hotel pillows are weird. I do have a heavyish jacket, which I don't want to be bothered with on two long flights. I did wonder if &Beyond would transport bags by land and thank you for confirming.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM

We have self driven between Ngala tented and Exeter Leadwood ( and between other camps Motswiri to Sabi, Chitwa Chitwa and kirkmans) and it took around 3 to 3.5 hrs. Good roads. We find it easier than flying from the Timbavati to Sabi sands which we did once only. We leave after the am game drive and breakfast and arrive in plenty of time to settle in before afternoon tea and game drive. We like to see a bit of the country as we go and find somewhere for lunch on the way.
Do take less stuff. It's all very informal and laundry is included at the & beyond camps.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

kimac, can you comment on what you found difficult about the flight please? Made a mistake on the weight of my bag -- only 23 lbs. Duh.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM

shouldbewriting: We did the Dulini to Ngala flight in June and had no problems with our bags, which were similar to yours...Eagle Creek 25" Load Warrior and 25" Hovercraft rolling duffle. We did hold our carry-on backpacks on our laps since they contained our bins, cameras and accessories, storage devices, etc. You will not miss any game drives...it's as tom outlined. Have a great time!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:25 AM

I do not know if Bateleur Air flies between the two lodges, but if they do, they tend not to have the weight restrictions that some other charters have.

Mike
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

I don't know who does the flight, but just reread the mail from my TA, in which she says the trip by road is busy and not very scenic. So think we'll just tough it out as ovenbird says, though may have to load carry-ons into the hold as they won't be backpacks. I suspect &Beyond is used to dealing with this; hope so anyway.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 09:37 AM

You might be in for an expensive surprise if you do not talk to your TA about it now.

Mike
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 08:23 AM

I travel with a lot of camera equipment and for the light aircraft flights, find it easier to book an extra seat for my camera backpack or roller. It also avoids the problem of trying to stuff a large bag into the hold. Trade off of course, is the added expense..... For me it's worth it as it provides certainty that I can bring the equipment.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM

shouldbewriting- We are in very similar circumstances. We are 16 days out from our Phinda,Kirkmans & Exeter Dulini. We will be taking &Beyond's charter flight from Phinda to Kirkman's (Skuskuza). We have small wheeled duffel and were wondering if it really is necessary to get one that is completly soft sided. Our others flights should not be a problem. It is this one charter that will determine how much we pack. This is our 1st time in Africa. I know I will want to bring back an ebony bowl or something. I will have to purchase early in our travels. Now the worry about weight of gifts as well. I will leave something home just to be able to bring things back. Crazy. lol
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Leaving next Monday, so just spent morning on come-to-jesus packing. Think we should be okay, maybe a few lbs over; have decided not to worry. We both have mostly soft sided 25" bags from Eagle Creek, and High Sierra soft roll-aboards with attached day packs. We're taking kindles, iPad, travel size everything, 2 cameras apiece, bins for me, and hardly any clothes. There will be no dressing up for dinner. I expect to have outgrown my pants before going home, sorry to say, and plan to leave them behind and use that space for a few souvenirs. Look forward to trip reporting sometime in Oct. Many thanks for all help received.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM

"come-to-jesus packing"
HALLELUJAH!!!! Can I get an Aaamen!!!!

cristeen and you both will have great safaris and will keep your to promise of trip reports!! I am very tempted to visit Phinda and Exeter next May 2012. Have been to Kirkmans and loved it.

regards - tom
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Tom-your reports and photos have been very intrumental in our Kamp choices. Thank you.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Gee thanks cristeen, hope were still friends when you get back
And again will be interesting how you compare those three camps. And I'm just not sure how insistent the charter will be on duffel bags. I doubt if they will be fussy about it. Just for sure not any of those huge two suit suit cases. In the perhaps a dozen charters I've taken, all sizes of planes, I've never seen a bag not allowed on.

regards - tom