game drives Kruger

Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:57 PM
Jim

game drives Kruger

We'll be staying a week at Kruger national park. Are there any inexpensive, good value game drives? We will have a car, and good accommodation in the southern part of the park. Are there any things that we should do to make use of our car hire?

Dec 4th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Lisa Waverley

Jim, I found this information at http://www.krugerpark.org/Accommodation/Main_Camps/Game_Viewing/game_viewing.html.
I hightly recommend doing a few game drives and walks as the information you can get from the game rangers is incredible.

Seeing that you have your own car, you will have a great time driving yourself to various waterholes and other restcamps and enjoying the excitement of spotting animals on your own as well.

My recommendation is to get up very early, so that you are ready to leave the camp as soon as the gates open. Pick a destination so that you land up at a rest camp along the way, like (Tshokwane for example)at about 10 or 11. These places have facilities like Kadak gas braais for making your own breakfasts. Supplies can be purchased ahead of time from the stores at most camps, ( I think). Stop and have breakfast there while the monkeys sit in the trees above you and throw seeds at you or chase you. Continue on to a waterhole or another camp. Just make sure you get back to your own accommodation before the gates close for the day.
Enjoy and make sure that you don't leave your car unless you are at an official rest camp.
Waverley

Dec 4th, 2002, 06:30 AM
RnR

You will not want to miss the experience of being driven by a ranger who knows the area and can locate game. Doing this in your own vehicle will not compare!!

Dec 4th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Jim

Thank you for the information. If I may ask a further question,what is the cost (preferably less expensive) of a couple going on a game drive?

Dec 5th, 2002, 07:38 AM
RnR

Jim, suggest you look at the latest Fodors on southern Africa - and review the rates the rangers charge in Kruger - it's not expensive at all.

The pricier apporach, of course, is to stay at a private lodge adjoining Kruger - there you'll be given two game drives daily by qualifies rangers and trackers. But do look at Fodors for their latest data.

Dec 5th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Jim

Thank you again. I went to a bookstore today in a suburb of Sydney. Unfortunately, they didn't have the Fodors Southern africa. But I'll find it. I guess a major worry I have is that I've seen some statements that you need to book 2 months ahead for game drives. Will it be pssible to book the game drives and walks when we get to Kruger at the end of May 2003?

Dec 6th, 2002, 06:39 AM
RnR

Jim, I have no idea - but if you can I would book ASAP. Perhaps someone else has more info. on this - in our case, we were staying at private lodges, rangers included, so reserving guide and tracker wasn't an issue for us.

Search this Thread