Kruger Game Viewing: Thornybush GR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering adding a visit to Kruger NP area on our trip to South Africa in December.

Would love to hear opinions on the Thornybush GR for flora & fauna sightings... "big 5" would be great, too.

Also, are the private lodge's game drives limited to their own property?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Will this be your first safari? If not, what other safari camps have you been to?

To locate where we are talking about here is a simple map of that Thornybush and Kruger area http://tinyurl.com/bwngjf
Only a a tiny bit of Kruger is shown on this map, Kruger is huge.

Visiting a private game reserve like Thorynbush or Kruger NP are two very different things. At Kruger most people drive themselves and you are very restricted where you can drive. You will likely not see all the big five in a couple of days at Kruger and if you do they will probably be distant and fleeting. The cost for Kruger is moderate, $200 per day, two people, simple comfortable hut, with car rental and meals at the camp cafeteria. We like Kruger, have been there twice and going back this Sept.

In a private safari camp, e.g. Thornybush, you are not at all on your own like Kruger. You will be very well looked after and fed. Your game drive will be in an open side/top camp vehicle driven by a camp guide/ranger. When interesting game is found you will drive off-road for closer and longer viewing. All this comes at a cost, the published rate for Thornybush for two people is $800 per night. We also like private camps and after Kruger in Sept we will go to Kings Camp for eight nights.

Private lodges like Thornybush may or may not share "traversing rights" with other private camps. I don't know if or who with Thornybush shares traversing rights. Certainly they can not simply drive into Kruger.

I have not been to Thornybush, have you tried a search here to find someone who has? And if they saw the big 5 there. I have been to other camps in the adjacent Timbavati Reserve. And to camps in the world famous Sabi Sand Reserve just south of there.

This for starters, I'm sure others will chime in. And you will likely have more and more questions. Just ask.

regards - tom
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM

I have not been to Thornybush yet, but I am going in April. A friend of mine's son worked there as ranger. Based on her stories, there is definitely big 5 there. There are a number of lodges in the reserve, but it is not overcrowded. Sightings there will be similar to Sabi Sands. I will know more in 7 weeks and I will report at that time.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM

m-bran
Tom has given you the essentials already.

I just wanted to add: Don't be toooo determined to "find" the "big 5". Safari is much more than just "ticking". Every gamedrive is different! One night drive you don't see much and the next you see everything.
Just take it easy and appreciate what comes along!

ughh - one more: For a first timer I would opt for ANY camp/lodge in either Timbavati, Thornybush or Sabi Sands - the latter the better in view to leopard sightings;-)
Staying at a Lodge and doing gamedrives with their guides/trackers you get a big deal of information on environment, animals, animal behavior etc etc etc which you yourself have to gather by reading books on end. Furthermore Kruger for selfdrive is fantastic but can be boring - all depending on your luck of the day.

Whatever you are going to choose: You will have a fantastic time!

Happy planning!

SV
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies!

Tom - Thank you for the information - and for adding "traversing rights" to my new safari vocabulary

Mytmoss - I look forward to seeing a report upon your return -- have a wonderful trip!

SV - thank you for the well wishes

All truly appreciated!