Kenya--11 more sleeps and yet so many questions!

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya--11 more sleeps and yet so many questions!

Well, it's 11 more sleeps and I'm wishing I had started researching months earlier!!! Although, I know I would still be just as obsessed anyway.

Wondering about the electrical outlets---anyone know which adaptor to use in Kenya and Tanzania(and in Egypt too, if you know)?
We've bought 1 that says "M" and says "parts of Africa" on the package. I've also read on some website "G" for Kenya, "G" or "D" for Tanzania and "C" for Egypt. Help!!? Now, I've also seen "converters" as opposed to "adaptors". I read that they have 240V power over there so does that mean we need a "converter", not just an "adaptor"?
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM

I can explain the difference between adaptors and convertors. Plug adaptors allow your plug to fit into foreign electrical sockets. Converters (aka transformers) are used to convert to the proper voltage.

However, most devices these days are dual voltage. Check the chargers of the devices you are taking. If they say 100-240v or dual voltage, then you won't need a converter.

Here's a chart on plug adaptors by country:

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:07 AM

I have a kit of adapter plugs for various areas of the world along with a converter. Have had this for years. I just pack the entire kit (it doesn't weigh but a few oz) and use whatever is needed wherever I am.

If all else fails, the hotel, lodge or camp should have an adapter plug that you can borrow.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:03 AM

Kenya uses the same size (large) plugs as the UK. What electrical devices are you taking? Most, such as camera battery charges, adapt to the voltage (110 versus 240). If a hair dryer, not dual, and not likely you would want to take an adaptor large enough to convert to much power (watts).

Kevin from California
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

No, I don't care about hair dryers on Safari----I plan to go "as is". This is all about the electronics!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
aby

Abbyo

BTW vou can plug a C into a G-socket without any adaptor!
yeah the 2 round pins of the C plug fit into the 2 rectangular "holes" in the G socket. you only need to insert something like a screw-driver (i use a key) into the third vertical "hole" in order to open it

aby