Search

Rogue Nature series w/ Dave Salmoni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rogue Nature series w/ Dave Salmoni

Anyone seen any of these?

As if it wasn't enough for him to try and make "nice" with the pride of lions, now he's got his own series about trying to understand "rogue" animals and their dark side. Whatever!

"Salmoni sets out into the wild to observe his subjects' behavior and determine whether violence is a chance occurrence -- or an inevitable fate."

So far I've watched as he's tried to encounter rogue hippos and crocs, chimps, and just recently elephants, who warned him (very quickly and sternly) to back off. Stay tuned for the episode of upcoming lions.

From one reviewer of the series:
"...What's more, his final observations often border on "duh" moments: In one episode, for example, he determines that while a species might tend toward peaceful coexistence with humans (from a distance, that is), it's always possible to encounter one who will inexplicably cross the line and attack. (Gee, really?)..."

I think if I had some idiot coming into my space to observe me, I'd become pretty angry and rogue too.

I'm rooting for the animals!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

should read "upcoming episode of lions."
Aargh!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks....will keep a lookout for this! Is this a new Animal Planet series?

Rgds,
Hari
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Hari-
I haven't seen it on Animal Planet yet, but since it's on the Discovery Channel, I'm sure it will cross over as most of the animal shows do.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Pretty lame stuff. Some stupid thing about finding "rogue" animals. Just goes around aggravating animals until they display aggression, really defense, against him. Nice to look at on Hi Def but pretty dumb.

Kevin from California
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Yes, unfortunately typical of recent wildlife shows that exists just to sensationalize the danger of wildlife to humans.

I TiVo'd chimps hoping to learn something before visiting them in February and 20 after minutes all I knew was if a captive chimp is on the loose I better cover by man parts with both hands at which point I gave up on the show.

I did watch most of the hippo/croc since he stayed mostly in scenic Zambia. Of course there is no talk of fight or flight zones and the human trigger of behavior by entering them -- something a typical 8 year old can grasp but rather this focus on what makes 'rogue' individuals that can kill humans.

Unfortunately I'd have to call the show garbage even though South Luangwa looks so great on my HD.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, let's not forget that huge "rogue" squid -LOL- he went looking for.

Ya know, with him being an "animal behaviorist", you'd think the last thing he'd want to do is sensationalize the aggressive tendencies that animals display when defending themselves.

Like humans, each animal's personality differs and some may have more aggression than others with some becoming rogue (like some humans become rogue and kill.)

In the show about eles, he was talking to a vet who believes elephants display aggression to humans because they equate humans with having harmed or tried to harm members of the herd.

Interesting theory, as the same was said on a show I watched about cape buffalo.

Humpback whales have also been known to try to swim away from boats because they equate boats with death (man trying to harpoon members of their pod.) In turn, they pass this knowledge and fear of man to the calves upon birth, passing it down to future generations

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM

This series royally pisses me off. It is incredible to see him try to describe the animal as a "rogue" when he does something like approach a female elephant with her calf on foot. The whole concept of "rogue" animals to me is so often a complete intellectual dishonesty, I am shocked that the Discovery Channel even chooses to air it.

If Salmoni wants to find a "rogue" animal that pathologically kills other animals for no reason other than spite or simple profit, he should devote his series to humans.

Chris
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM

PB,

I am going to get your help to "TIVO" the Nat Geo show on our friendly neighborhood cheetah brothers, when it goes on air at some point this year!

Thanks in advance,
Hari
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Hari -- consider that done!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

The Rogue Nature "lions" episode airs tonight at 9pm EDT on Discovery.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM

I watched about 15 minutes of the lion episode tonight, and the whole premise of these shows turns my stomach. What an idiot.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Just finished watching it. Filmed in Kruger.

What a stupid show. What was his point?

I did notice the white guide with the gun jumping in the car. Protection for the brave host.

Fortunately the lions were clever enough not to act "rogue" and in the process were a lot smarter than the host.

Please cancel the show. I am writing Discovery Channel tonight.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

LOL guys, you beat me to the punch!

I watched the whole thing too, to see if he could "prove" the man-eater theory, hoping he would become one of the meals!;-)

He never did prove his theory. The lions were just way too smart for him. Of course, he had to turn it around to make it sound like they were the bad guys. Just more sensationalism, as always!

And what's up with training the lion to associate the banging pan with food?
Anyone with any common sense knows repetition and reward is a common method to train any animal. Duh!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM

The show with 'rouge' elephants was aired in the UK on Sunday and it seemed like a load of b**l*cks. Any animal can me made to react like a 'rouge' by aggravating it. Proves nothing.

Who commissions these shows?

Has anyone watched the one where he tried to mingle with a pride of lions? Why?