Adapter wattage question

Search

Adapter wattage question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adapter wattage question

Yes, another power question - please humor me.

I am going to Vienna - I need to charge my digital camera battery. The charger is dual voltage (100V-240V) so I will only need an adapter.

I just opened the adapter package I bought and it says that the appliances plugged into the adapter MUST BE btwn 50 and 1875 watts. It also says that wattage ratings are marked on all appliances, however I don't see that on my charger.

How can I find out if my charger is compatible with the adapter? I would hate to get there and have it fry my battery!

The charger is a Canon, model CB-2LV G.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM

What is an "adapter package"?

All you need is a plug adapter. You insert the plug of your charger into it and then plug that into the wall.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

My adapter came as part of a set of 5 (1 for each continent, essentially)...hence adapter package. But really the question is whether or not this adapter for appliances 50-1875 watts will fry my charger. I can't tell if the charger is between 50-1875 watts.

This is what it says on the back of the charger:

Input: 110V-240V AC 50/60Hz
0.1A (100V)
-0.6A (240V)

Output: 4.2V----0.65A

Volts x Amps = Watts, but I can't decipher what all those numbers mean.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Your adapter probably work for the charger but it's not clear.

But, you will not burn your camera, etc.. The number of 1,875 is similar to hair dryers. If you do have any problem, it's going to be on the lower side of this adapter. The charger might not use more than 50 watts.

Check out a few other appliances at your house. DVD Players, CD Players, and even the VCR units. Most of these will be about 75 watts.

Check this out and be certain but don't worry too much if you cannot get an answer. It probably work fine.

Blackduff

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:30 PM

If your charger is dual-voltage by design, then that watts statement does not apply - all you need is a physical plug adapter (nothing to do with how many volts or watts go through it) so that the prongs on your US-purchased charger can fit into the European-style sockets. Three bucks at Target.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Vocabulary exercise: adapter, a device for connecting two dissimilar parts of an apparatus. Try connecting your charger plug to one of the adapters; the USA plug end. You then need to select the correct adapter to use in Vienna. Caution, Be sure to take the adapter and charger and battery with you when you leave. Tip: store all of the camera gear and the camera instruction book in a zip-lock bag.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:53 AM

> 0.6A (240V)

Your charger draws ~144 Watts at 240V, so it will be fine with your plug adapter.

Actually, I can't see any reason why it would have a lower limit of 50W, so all you need to do is make sure you don't plug anything into it that draws <b>more</b> than 7 amps at 240V.

If you are basically using the adapter with chargers for phones, cameras and that sort of thing you should have no problem at all!

Cheers,

Bill
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:07 AM

&lt; Actually, I can't see any reason why it would have a lower limit of 50W &gt;

Assuming that it's a voltage converter then it may need a minimum current flow to make it work
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:31 AM
ira

Hi TVI,

As Bill says, the wattage is 0.6 amps x 240 V = 144 watts.

You will be fine.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you <b>so much</b> everyone!