Is Victoria falls worth seeing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen Niagara Falls many times and I will only have about 10 days total in Africa. I plan on going to capetown and to Kruger park. Is the additional travel time to victoria falls worthwhile?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I like Vic Falls more than Niagara Falls.

When people are asked the top ten sights they like most in Africa, Vic Falls consistently appears on their lists.

That said, if I had only 10 days to spend on a first trip to South Africa, I would devote them to Cape Town and the Kruger National Park, and I would not go to Vic Falls.

You didn't say this was your first trip to South Africa, but it sounds to me as if it is, so I'm basing my opinion on that.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:20 PM

We had 5 weeks in Africa (Kenya, Zimbabwe, Sth Africa)in Nov/Dec 1997 as part of a 17 week world trip and Vic Falls was a highlight even though the water was not flowing as much as it sometimes does. We stayed at Ilala Lodge, beautiful place, 10 mins walk to the falls. Try to fit a visit in - it's a monstrous drop from the top-all the way down....mighty stuff!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM

Simply put - Yes - it is awesome. However, if you are pushed for time it may just not be possible. Having said that, with covering the game aspect in Kruger you probably won't want to spend more than a day/night at Vic Falls. The Zambian side is much better than Zimbabwe and try to schedule your visit for Feb/Mar/Apr as this is when the river is in full spate.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:43 AM

In your case, I'd skip the falls. Not that they aren't beautiful, but we enjoyed our activities in Zambia more than viewing the falls themselves. And since you only have 10 days and are asking...
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Yes the Falls are worth seeing but generally in conjunction with a trip in that direction...combined with Zambia/Botswana or Zimbabwe.

I agree with everyone else I wouldn't chase all the way up there, in the middle of an itinerary that focused on South Africa, just to see the Falls.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:51 AM

I think you have answered this question yourself!

Vic Falls is beautiful, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But with only 10 days you will have to pick and choose, and every new destination does add lots of extra overhead in terms of travel time. If you can't find a way to add extra days, don't shortchange the places where you are going...allow enough time to enjoy them, and save Vic Falls for another trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM

In my own humble opinion the Victoria Falls ranks as my No.1 BEST place on earth to see. There is something just simply amazing, perhaps it is that for the most part it remains natural and uncluttered by modern facilities ( as compared to Niagara ). If I had to choose 1 single place on earth as a Must See it would be the Vic Falls !
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Here is one possibility. Go to Cape Town, allowing four nights, before flying to Livingstone, Zambia, (Vic Falls on the Zambian side) for two nights. Then, instead of Kruger NP, take a two hour flight from Livingstone to South Luangwa NP for four nights.

You will get a lot more bang for your buck in Zambia than in South Africa and South Luangwa is an incredible area.

Good luck.