Victoria Falls

Do the falls live up to the hype?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM

>>>>>>Yes.<<<<<&l t;

Well, Abastable, it occurs to me that a mere "Yes" may not carry much weight with you, and you may want more detail.

I don't know what kind of hype you've heard about the Falls. Perhaps it's been so far over the top that, when you actually see the Falls, you'll feel disappointed.

In my opinion, however, the Falls are impressive enough that they probably can withstand hype. When experienced Africa travellers are asked for their Top Ten In Africa list, Victoria Falls consistently appears on those lists.

I rarely compare scenery on different continents. My attitude towards scenery is that one gets a lot more enjoyment if one simply accepts each landscape on its own merits. However, I will make an exception in the case of Niagara Falls and Victoria Falls. Speaking only for myself, I prefer Vic Falls. My most recent visit to Niagara Falls was a sort of duty trip undertaken to keep someone else happy. It reminded me, as if I needed reminding, that I preferred Vic Falls.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:12 PM

Ill let you know. Will be there in May.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:48 PM

I saw Victoria Falls this past Sep.I personally loved the place.We visited both sides and was not disappointed in either side.Went out to Livingstone island, which you can only get to in the dry season. The views from there were the best of all.We stayed at the Livingstone resort, and watched Hippos in tne river and vervet monkeys were playing all around.The mist from the falls in the backround. Beautiful!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:24 PM

I visited Vic Falls in Sep 98 and it was absolutely fantastic. Still rates as one of my best travels. We rafted on the Zambezi below the falls and that was an excellent time as well. The town was also great. You'll have a great time!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:09 AM

Abastable, obviously depends very much on the time of the year. With the rains we had so far in southern Africa you are likely to 'see' only mist and nothing of the actual falls.
What exactly are your expectations?

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:57 AM
sandi

abastable - have to agree with Karin01 that at hi-flow there isn't much to see with all the mist and the sound can be heard up to a mile away. While it's a cute exercise to coverup with raincoats/hats and umbrellas to walk the mile or so - there's isn't much to see.

We visited end-Nov at relatively low-flow, we did get a bit wet from a short shower, but it was beautiful in that we were able to see so much of the greenery, down into the base below, the way he flow was different at various spots along the way. And at least we were able to take photos though did protect our cameras from the mist. At hi-flow I wouldn't be taking my camera out - not worth any damage from all the wet around.

The town itself was small and quaint and poor, but we had fun shopping at the open air market for trinkets at very inexpensive prices.

If only looking for the hype than one-day in VFA is fine, if you plan other activities here, which there are - then you can spend another day or two, in either VFA or Livingston on the Zambia side.