Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which side of Victoria Falls is better: Zambia or Zimbabwe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2018, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Victoria Falls in Africa is 1 of the 3 greatest waterfalls in the world. Being the most photographed natural spectacle in both countries, tourists constantly asked: Which side of Victoria Falls is better: Zambia or Zimbabwe?
Walking through Thunder. Zimbabwe, or Zambia?

Together with the Niagara Falls in North America and the Iguazu Falls in South America, the Victoria Falls in Africa is one of the three greatest waterfalls in the world. Each of these waterfalls has their own character, for sure, but they have one thing in common – all three waterfalls are located on the border of two countries. While I have only visited the Victoria Falls and Niagara Falls (but I am planning to visit the Iguazu Falls this year!), I have shared something about… Victoria Falls in my previous post as I have covered some facts about the Falls, what to see and do, how to get there, and info of KAZA visa, which could be useful for many tourists traveling between Zimbabwe and Zambia.

For the video, and photos, do feel free to visit: https://knycxjourneying.com/2018/03/...bwe-or-zambia/ for the details!

Being the most photographed natural spectacle in both countries, tourists constantly asked: Which side of Victoria Falls is better: Zambia or Zimbabwe?

First, I think it’s important to understand a little bit more about the landscape of Victoria Falls.The Falls is part of the Zambezi River (which also served as the border of the two countries), and as the river flows through a lush riverine vegetation, over 40,000 cubic feet per second of water cascade down into the depth below, and then squeeze its way through a narrow and twisting gorge, creating the whirlpool rapids. The two countries are connected by the Victoria Falls Bridge, which straddles across the cliffs and offers an excellent view of the Falls. In other words, the Falls exist between a very narrow gorge where the curtain of water is not exactly wide open to viewer’s eye. If you ask me, I would highly recommend travelers to visit both countries and make the most of the Victoria Falls experience (and it’s awesome to add one more country in your own travel map). However, if you only have time and resources to go to one, I hope the following information would inspire you to make a wise decision.

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe is considered to be the country to go to because its city, Victoria Falls, is named after the sight itself and is basically adhered to the waterfalls, with its town center less than 1 kilometer away. The town is small with a population of 33,000, but the country invested a lot to develop its infrastructure, facilities, hotel, and recreation that makes Victoria Falls a tourist destination. Vibrant cafés, restaurant, and souvenir stores are found in a short walk away from the waterfalls walking trail; with a wide selection of hotels and hostel that are generally cheaper than those in Zambia.

The Victoria Falls Walking Trail, What else to do in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe?
​​​​​​​
https://knycxjourneying.com/2018/03/...bwe-or-zambia/ ​​​​​​​

Livingstone, Zambia

While some tourists may be concerned about Zimbabwe’s political turmoil, while Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe is a developed tourist destination and generally safe; Zambia, on the other hand, is more stable and established itself firmly as an option for tourists to experience the astonishing power of the Victoria Falls.

The Photo Graphic Trail is about 788m long and it leads to the Victoria Falls Bridge, and there is another short trail that connects to the upstream of the falls. During low water seasons the Eastern cataract on the Zambian side dries up almost completely that visitors could explore the area walking on the exposed rock surface; it is a unique experience to see the Falls from a different perspective – like the discoverer, David Livingstone saw it for the first time.

The Victoria Falls Walking Trail, What else to do in Zambia?
https://knycxjourneying.com/2018/03/...bwe-or-zambia/
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:17 PM

thanks for the great explanation, bookmarking
Old May 3rd, 2018, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much ~

Last edited by knycx_journeying; May 3rd, 2018 at 11:54 PM. Reason: editing
Old May 13th, 2019, 05:52 PM

Victoria Falls: Stay there or in Livingstone

Thank you for your trip report and website blog. I hope you have some recommendations for me.

Our safari ends at Victoria Falls and we have 4 days before we head back home. We can use points to stay in Livingstone. How difficult is it to get back and forth between Livingstone and Victoria Falls? Do you recommend staying one place over another? Livingstone is attractive as it is away from all of the tourists. I would think it would be easy enough to take day trips from either location? We;ll be going in September.

Please advise, I'd appreciate it!
Kind regards,
Kim