help - Botswana/Victoria Falls

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help - Botswana/Victoria Falls

We are scheduled for a trip to SA/Botswana in a couple of weeks. We will be taking our two children (18 and 13). We had originally planned on spending one night in Vic Falls (Royal Livingstone) and then on to 2 nights at Chobe Chilwero. I just learned of the new visa charges and was put off by the cost of the visa and the uncertainty of this given how abruptly it has been implemented (the Zambia embassy in Washington DC basically has no information on the new policy!) I am considering just adding another night in Chobe and skipping Victoria Falls.

Unfortunately, it looks like the most efficient way to get to Chobe Chilwero from J’Oberg is either thru Livingstone airport or Victoria Falls airport. If we transit thru Livingstone, it looks like we may still be stuck with the visa charge (US$135 * 4). Not sure if that is accurate?? The travel agent has me nervous about flying to Victoria Falls (in Zim) due to security in Zim. I assume we could have Chobe Chilwero pick us up in VF airport and drive to the camp – it doesn’t look like that would take too long (1.5hrs?).

Any thoughts would be appreciated – should we skip VF and spend a third night at Chobe? Comments on security from VF airport to Chobe Chilwero? Any other comments are welcome. Thank you.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM

My wife and I just returned from a trip that involved traveling between Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Botswana. While the economy is certainly in shambles in Zimbabwe, we never felt unsafe. We traveled by road between Victoria Falls Airport and Kasane in a modern air-conditioned van on well-maintained roads. You will have no trouble arranging similar transport should you decide to arrive in VFA. We stayed at the Victoria Falls Hotel and were treated like royalty. Best of luck with your plans!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ... how long was the drive to Kisane?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM

The drive was about 90 minutes, with immigration formalities conducted at checkpoints on either side of the border.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Hi there

the visa fees in Zambia are exorbetant and they are going to feel it in the decline of tourists that is for sure.

There are 2 option open to you:
1) Fly to Victoria Falls, you will be very safe and stay at Stanley and Livingstone for a night if you are going all that way it would be a huge shame not to see Victoria Falls. Go onto Chobe Chilwero the next day.

2) Fly Johanensburg to Maun, in Maun Chobe Chilwero will organise a flight over to Kasane by light aircraft over the Botswana delta and Chobe Chilwero will collect you in Kasane effectivly missing both Victoria Falls and Zambia and seeing the delta by air.

Enjoy your trip

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Doogle,

Why in the world would one fly from Chobe to Kasane????
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:59 AM

sorry.....mis read your post! i didn't read the Maun to Chobe part......