Search

Best snorkeling in Red Sea

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best snorkeling in Red Sea

Hi there!

I would love some input on snorkeling in the red sea.

We love snorkeling from the shore.

It would be great to avoid crowds, yet stay somewhere nice (it will be our honeymoon) where the snorkeling is great!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM

since you asked this and some other questions in your previous post, I just put that one back to the top in hopes that others will respond with more ideas and suggestions
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM

Last year I was at the Movenpick resort in el Gouna, by Hurghada on the Red Sea. I thought it was lovely and believe it would be a nice place for a honeymoon, especially if you are already in Egypt or near by. They are well known for their dive center, however I know thing about this and don't know if you'd find the snorkeling you are looking for. If it sounds appealing, you might want to check their website, which is www.moevenpick-hotels.com/hotels/El_Gouna/
I'm not sure if the link will come out OK, but if not just go tot he Moevenpick hotel site and you can find it from there. Hope this helps!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM

P.S. I meant I know NOTHING about diving or snorkeling.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM

Pam - We loved the Movenpick in El GOuna. Probably stayed there 4 or 5 times. I agree that it would be a nice place to relax for a honeymoon and the little village of El Gouna is lovely. But the snorkling there doesn't compare to Sharm.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm...sounds like Sharm has the best underwater scenery.

I am wondering if we will get sick of Sharm - it looks very commercial and touristy. I would rather get bored somewhere small and more "authentic!!"

Some of you said it makes the most sense to stay in a large resort, which is fine, but I am wondering about a nice resort in a smaller town (less crowded) - what about Dahab, Taba or Neweiba?

I would much rather stay in a smaller town/city with real restaurants, fewer crowds, more authenticity than one that seems very commercial.

But, if the underwater sights make the crowds worth it, then let me know that too!

Thoughts?

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM

How many days are you looking to stay in Sharm?

I know people who regularly stay a week - but I found 3-4 days to be plenty. The area by the boardwalk is rather touristy and we usually only went their once for lunch or dinner. The resorts are quite relaxing and I enjoyed the time there.

Can't comment on the other spots in terms of snorkeling or accomodations. I am sure there are nice places to stay. Our company always warned us against Taba because of the location and possibility of unrest (we knew people seriously injured in the bombing back in 2004), but other people I knew went and enjoyed it.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM

sinai coast is not the place to be looking for authentic. Most of the places currently existing (dahab, sharm, nuweiba) didn't have more than a few tents/shacks as recently as 30-40 years ago. sharm was founded by israeli soldiers as a military base during the '67 war. there aren't any charming old guesthouses, just various levels of recently built accommodation. yes, everything is touristy. well, i should qualify that i've only been to nuweiba, dahab and sharm. perhaps there are hidden gems. but to my knowledge these are also the best snorkeling and diving places.
the diving and snorkeling is truly out of this world. i've dived in all major parts of the world (including Great Barrier Reef) and Sharm is still the best place I have been! so, i would just admit the above-water experience will be touristy, find the best accommodation with my budget and get underwater.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:35 AM

I, too, loved the Mövenpick in El Gouna but for snorkeling Sharm is much better. NOT the hotels at the boardwalk in Naama Bay, though, but the ones located on Ras Umm Sid have the best snorkeling from the shore. Ras Umm Sid is located a few kms south of Naama Bay and the hotels are all high on the cliff (lots of stairs!).
For hotels in Ras Umm Sid, check out this map (click on Ras Umm Cid to enlarge and to see the location of the (green dotted) hotels: http://www.goredsea.com/en_streetmap...streetmap.aspx
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM

The best Red Sea diving is probably on the Saudi side of the Red Sea, where apart from the few Saudis and expats who indulge, there are far fewer divers. Did hear of a German company which had organized a diving trip to Saudi Arabia but that may have been a one-off. Normally, visit visas are extremely difficult to obtain. It's a great pity as Saudi Arabia has many natural beauties. (I'm a Canadian who has lived here 10 yrs).