Victoria falls or not?

Apr 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Victoria falls or not?

We're headed to so africa in September. 4 days in Cape Town, then 3 days at a safari lodge. The tour co offers an add-on to Victoria falls. It's another $2000. Is it worth it?
Apr 4th, 2013, 04:59 PM

We thought it was "worth" a couple of days. No way to know if that's what you'll think.
Apr 5th, 2013, 06:13 AM

I was at Vic Falls in August 2010 (the dry season) and, while it was interesting to see the famous falls, I would not have gone out of my way to see them - our Botswana self-drive happened to end there. My reaction to this question (of whether it is worth diverting to the falls) is always to think, "They're just a waterfall!" I did not find them that thrilling, although I might have been more impressed had we been there at the end of the rainy season. If it were me, I would take that $2000 and try to extend your time on safari in SA - save Botswana for your next trip to Africa. Keep in mind, however, that I am Canadian, and we have Niagara Falls, so perhaps that has coloured my opinion somewhat. CR
Apr 5th, 2013, 09:27 AM

First some questions for you.

How long is the stay? Is the $2k per person or for your party? If for your party, how many in your party? What activities are included in the $2 and where do you stay?

Could you do your own add-on, price it out, compare, and then decide?

If this were my only trip to Africa and I liked waterfalls (plus there is resident game roaming around the falls such as baboons, vervets, bushbuck, impala, banded mongoose) I'd probably go. I'd rather be out some money than always wishing I had taken advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity instead of letting it go.

I also like Canadian Robin's advice if your goal is to see a variety of interesting animals. "I would take that $2000 and try to extend your time on safari in SA - save Botswana for your next trip to Africa."

Even if there is no next trip to Botswana your money will go farther in South Africa and maybe you'd have time and $ left to easily add Vic Falls.

Nobody has answered your question, have they?
Apr 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM

As above what does the $2K include? for how many days? and what other than just viewing the Falls?

You only need maybe 2/hrs to walk the Falls. We visited only as it was on the way to Chobe in Botswana, but sure wouldn't have if it was only to see 'water.'
Apr 9th, 2013, 07:12 AM

I visited the falls in Aug 2011 - "low water" season, but lots of water and a constant rainbow - lovely. But I was on my way to Botswana. Beautiful as the falls are, and I'm certainly glad I got to go, I wouldn't spend $2000 and go out of my way to see them as a sole destination.

Search this Thread