How is Marrakech Airport ?

Oct 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

How is Marrakech Airport ?

I have read some comments on Trip Advisor forum about delays and hassles at Marrakech airport, mostly long waits to clear immigration coming and going.
We are going in January so I am hoping there will not be long lines. Can anyone share their experience ?
thanks
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:05 AM

We just got back from our trip to Morocco 2 weeks ago. We came in from Madrid via Casablanca airport and left for Barcelona thru Marrakesh. We did not encounter any hassle nor long lines thru immigration in Marrakesh. After check-in it was a quick trip thru security then immigration. Menara airport is not that big so it shd. be pretty easy for you to find your way around.Casablanca was an altogether different story. The lines thru immigration was pretty long, and it took a long time for luggage to come out of the conveyors. And to top it all, it was very chaotic outside the airport that we had difficulty getting a taxi ride to our hotel. We ended up getting hassled by a taxi driver who initially wanted 400 dirhams for the trip to Novotel in the city center. When my husband walked away, he called him back and agreed to our 250dirha counter-offer. But he drove his dilapidated Mercedes sedan like crazy and was arguing with someone on the phone for most of the 40-minute ride. It was so scary, thought we would meet an accident along the way. Suggest you make prior arrangement with regards to arrival/departure taxi service so you will not get stressed out.
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for info.
Oct 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
jgg

We flew into Marrakesh airport very late at night and did have a VERY long line in immigration to wait through but as the other poster said it is not that big so everything is very easy to navigate. We had a driver there to pick us up but there were a lot of taxis waiting outside.
Oct 19th, 2010, 12:55 AM

I flew into Casa - no problems with immigration but had trouble locating my luggage. Flew out of Marrakech, flight was slightly delayed, no other problems. I took a train to Rabat from Casa airport, so no taxi problems.
Oct 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM

I was warned about potential very long immigration lines but we were through and out of the airport within about 20 mins of leaving the plane in March at about 11.30am. We only had hand luggage but my friend was through with luggage on the same time flight the week before us. No problems leaving either.

I was advised to sit as near to the front of the plane as possible and not to hang around getting to the immigration queues.
Oct 20th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for input. Our hotel does have free pickup so they will send a car for us.
Do you go through immigration before you pick up checked luggage or after?
Dec 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Hi Lynn,
We were there in 2007 and had no trouble with immigration at that time, either arriving or departing. We had a departure delay by a couple hours (not unheard of for EasyJet), which wouldn’t have been a big deal if it weren’t so late in the evening. All the services had shut down, and after an hour or so an airport rep brought snacks and beverages out. So my advice would be to bring plenty of food and drink with you just in case
Dec 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM

I was there in 2008.. had no trouble at all... We had only our onboard lugage so we were outside fairly quick
just took a cab outside the airport to our riad.

Search this Thread